Mills Jackpot help

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Mills Jackpot help

Postby Shane » Thu May 02, 2019 9:50 pm

I just finished tearing down the jackpot, cleaning and re-assembling. As coins are added, the reserve fills up but after filled it takes many more coins before the top coin diverter flap releases. Because so many coins fall have built up, the weight of them all falling activates the lower diverter flap and most coins go directly into the cash box instead of filling up the jackpot.

See attached pics - is there anything wrong with the re-assembly?

The spring attached to the top diverter flap is pretty light weight but it seems that it is creating too much tension so that just one or two coins does not activate the flap to open.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane
Attachments
IMG_9401.jpg
IMG_9400.jpg
Shane

Re: Mills Jackpot help

Postby mechanic » Fri May 03, 2019 11:15 am

Looks like the bottom end of the spring is stretched out. The spring should be completely collapsed when inactive. With the stretch it similates that the coins are already stacked on the flap. Take the spring and cut off one loop only then reattach and test how many coins it takes to make the flap dump. it should take 4-6 coins to make it dump. This allows 2 or 3 coins to sit on the flap and as more coins hit they go into the reserve instead of the cashbox. When the reserve fills up then the coins stack up on the flap and dump into the cashbox when 5 or more set on the flap causing it to open dumping all excess coins into the cashbox preventing overflow and jamming of the J/P and or mech.
mechanic

Postby Shane » Fri May 03, 2019 11:37 am

Mechanic,

Thanks for the reply. I will give it a try.

The top flap is probably taking 8-9 coins before it releases. Even at 4-6 coins, it seems that is going to be too much force dropping on the second flap for coins to be diverted to the main jackpot? Previously, after the reserve filled I would usually see one coin or maybe two at a time diverting to the main jackpot after the reserve was full - almost one coin per pull.

Shane
Shane

Postby Shane » Sat May 04, 2019 6:16 pm

After some experimentation I found a solution. I first went to Ace Hardware to search for a lighter weight spring. They didn't have any springs in that size of a lighter weight. I'm not sure if the spring I have is original or a replacement that is not quite the right size but by stretching it a bit it reduced the tension letting the coins fall more freely. Now, after the reserve jackpot fills, most of the coins are diverted to the main jackpot. Some still go directly to the cash box but this gives the main jackpot a chance to fill up.

Shane
Attachments
IMG_3617.JPG
Shane

Postby oldslotman » Sat May 04, 2019 6:46 pm

That is not the correct size spring. But if got it working it will do.
oldslotman

Postby Shane » Sat May 04, 2019 7:00 pm

Oldslotman,

Thanks, that's good to know. I see if Berten can fix me up with the proper spring.

Shane
Shane

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions