Parents gave me their Mills Bursting Cherry 5C Slot

This is the area to talk about everything regarding repairing and restoring machines.

Parents gave me their Mills Bursting Cherry 5C Slot

Postby cubbieslem » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi all,

I apologize for the long post. I'm completely new to these machines and I also apologize for the incorrect terms being used. I'm going to be researching more about these.

To begin with, I've always been a coin collector and my parents mentioned having an old slot machine in their basement that I can take the coins from. Turns out, the machine has some issues. The key is being looked for, but I doubt it will be found. The handle doesn't engage, but I question if this is from the machine being overloaded with coins. ( I noticed that the window on top shows the coins closer than other images I see online and a coin seems to be stuck at the entry location with more coins seemingly blocking movement downwards.) Two of the windows are also covered in some sort of material that almost looks like it melted.

After looking at this slot machine I think I feel in love. My parents offered it to me and being that it was previously my late grandfathers, I would love to fix it up. It would be pretty interesting to fill it up with some buffalo nickels.

I don't know if discussing prices are frowned upon here so I will instead ask if anyone knows of a fairly priced professional to restore the mechanicals of this machine near Chicago. Are picking these locks difficult? Also, any information about the machine. I would love to hear

Here is a quick picture I took.

https://imgur.com/a/K8RIbRD
cubbieslem

Re: Parents gave me their Mills Bursting Cherry 5C Slot

Postby madmelons » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:08 am

Others will give advice on getting backdoor off and maybe local agent to service mechanism.

Once mechanism serviced the outside looks like all it needs is a gentle clean and wax to me.
madmelons

Postby cubbieslem » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:35 am

Thanks for the response madmelons,

After some research it seems these locks are quite difficult to pick, even for some locksmiths. I'd rather not have to drill it. I saw someone talking about removing the wooden base, which allows you to slide out the back panel. After this you can send out your lock to get rekeyed. Does anyone have any experience with this method? Thanks in advance
cubbieslem

Postby madmelons » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:28 am

If you use search facility and type in: locked no key

You will see number of threads on both your model type and others, that show posters have number of

preferred options to bring out resolution to your situation. Of course where there are differing solutions

there are differing opinions, on which to choose. You need to decide which is best for you but take your

time.
madmelons

Return to Repair / Restoration Questions