Problem with Mills

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Problem with Mills

Postby rjpohl » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:53 am

Having 2 problems with a mills black cherry nickle machine.

problem 1. Handle hangs up unless I pull it slowly. When it hangs up I can let pressure off handle and then it will complete pull.

problem 2. Will not payout for cherry on reel 1, should pay 2 coins. Machine does make all other payouts.

thanks
Bob

ps have experience on newer slots but hardly any on these older slots.
Attachments
IMG_1578.JPG
IMG_1572.JPG
rjpohl

Re: Problem with Mills

Postby rjpohl » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:43 am

hows the easiest way to remove and clean coin payout slides? Mine have a lot of oil on them and I've been told they should be dry.
thanks
rjpohl

Postby pb4sc » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:29 pm

I would recommend you get Marshall Feys book. Mills Slot Machines: The complete Service Manual 1906-1969 You can find it on Amazon. Between the book and the helpful people on this forum, I have solved many of my issues.

As far as problem one, sounds like it could be the coin check. On the back of the escalator is a bar that checks to see if a coin has been played. If there is no coin, this bar moves forward preventing the arm from engaging. If there is a coin, the bar stays back, allowing the arm to cycle. I had an issue similar to yours, where even though there was a coin, the bar was still moving forward.

As far as the oily payout slides, you should be able unhook the springs on the back, and slide them out. However you will probably need to take apart the mechanism. The book will be helpful with that. Good Luck.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby shortrackskater » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:03 am

Hmmmm... I'm also more experienced with newer slots (recognize me from NLG? :) ) but now dabbling in old mechanical machines. Yours appears to be a reproduction or part-reproduction machine. The original ones paid only for 2 cherries but when I looked at your award card, I see it's listed to pay at one. Can you post a picture of the back of your machine, with the back door off?
shortrackskater

Postby oldslotman » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:52 am

Mills Black cherry machines paid both on a single cherry or two cherries. They were made either way
oldslotman

Postby pb4sc » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Thanks for clearing that up OldSlotMan. I learned that the hard way, when I bought a two cherry payout card, and my machine paid on one cherry.

Phil
pb4sc

Postby shortrackskater » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:47 pm

And thanks from me, OldSlotMan - I wasn't aware of that. I'd still like to see the back of his machine though...
shortrackskater

Return to Slots