Grandpa's Mills Diamond Front 5 Cent Slot Machine

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Grandpa's Mills Diamond Front 5 Cent Slot Machine

Postby skiwoods » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

As a kid growing up in the 60's, my grandfather had a nickel slot machine in his basement that my cousins, siblings, and I played whenever we would visit. I was lucky enough to end up with the slot machine when he passed in '79. I know he was good at keeping it maintained, but unfortunately, he never showed me the process to keep it operating smoothly. In the mid 90's, I took it to someone to do some preventative maintenance and it has been operating fine all throughout. Last December, I decided to find someone to do a complete overhaul - inside and out. Well it has taken almost 4 months, and I have been finally told that I should get it back in a few days. I have no intention of ever selling this slot machine with the hopes that my children will someday pass it down the family line.

If anyone has any insight as to how I can determine the year this was manufactured, I would appreciate it. The person who is doing the overhaul thinks it's from the late 40's, and from what I can find online, that's probably true. The "original" picture is probably not the original paint on this machine. When I took the diamonds off, the green was more of a lime green where it was more of an olive green. The paint colors I picked for the new scheme are Mercedes-Benz Brilliant Blue and Lexus Sandstone. I work for a car dealership network and picked these colors out at our body shop and provided the paint to the guy I have doing all this for me. Any opinions (good or not so good) on my decision to do a complete overhaul are appreciated.

Gene Woods
skiwoods

Re: Grandpa's Mills Diamond Front 5 Cent Slot Machine

Postby skiwoods » Fri May 03, 2019 9:05 am

Here's the final before and after. I'm very pleased with the outcome.

Gene Woods
skiwoods

Return to Slots