REAL OR REPOP DIAMOND FRONT ?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Re: REAL OR REPOP DIAMOND FRONT ?

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:42 am

I thought Mills came out with the single cherry pay out idea first in ? 1941 ? of course I could be wrong.
but in any case , believe this gimmick was done by most of the companies at the time.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:38 am

looked into a book.....
Dates of the diamond fronts (Mills always called them "chrome").
1) Chrome ; Jan. 1939.
2) with side vendor also in 1939.(month = ??).
3) Chrome Mystery ; Aug. 1939 (reference to it's pay out difference (?).
4) Gold Chrome ; Aug. 1941
5) Emerald Chrome ; Sept. 1941 (hand load).
6) Copper Chrome ; Dec. 1941.
Different source than before.
I need to go over my list (s), and compile a Mills slot machine list on this site ,with dates . And any corrections , additions , clarifications ,can be noted by everyone else.
need to find the time......
OR ,if there's an expert, P.M. me ,I'll put my lists together with your's , add / delete , ect. Then post a list here.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby quadibloc » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am

I've been trying to determine when single-cherry pay originated. In the immediate post-war period, I've found magazine advertisements as early as October, 1945 for the American Amusements revamp Mills silents that looked like diamond fronts with single-cherry pay, and I've also seen single-cherry pay on the Jennings Standard Chief at a fairly early date. It's quite possible that single-cherry pay was offered with the Bronze Chief as well (their post-war machines came out in the order Bronze Chief, Super Deluxe Club Chief, and then Standard Chief).

But in the book Lemons, Cherries, and Bell-Fruit Gum, there is reproduced on page 160 an item suggesting that the original Mills Chrome Bell of 1939 was available with single-cherry pay. But the item doesn't explicitly indicate if it is from Mills instead of American Amusements, so I can't be absolutely sure.
quadibloc

Previous

Return to Slots