REAL OR REPOP DIAMOND FRONT ?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

REAL OR REPOP DIAMOND FRONT ?

Postby fast_in_muskoka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:14 pm

Happy New Year Coin OP Collectors !
Check out the listing below, and let me know if you think it's legit or not.
regards,
Steve

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.htm ... 1224116581
fast_in_muskoka

Re: REAL OR REPOP DIAMOND FRONT ?

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:56 pm

looks legit to me. Don't believe the back would have been chrome and I believe the wood should be natural not painted. Also the 25 cent indicator is wrong. But the mech and castings look legit.
oldslotman

Postby fast_in_muskoka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:08 pm

thanks OldSlotMan
Is the price ( CDN ) out of line ?
fast_in_muskoka

Postby JHSS-1944 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree with oldslotman. looks like an original machine. So many of them were made , I don't believe fakes / reproductions were ever made.
should be Natural wood, brown (or black) painted door, bonnet usually painted also. no doubt the castings were chromed / rechromed. this one is "over restored". remember , after the government stopped all nonessential use of chrome =( for military use only), mills sold these painted ,first in Silver , then Gold, then emerald. Last 2 being very difficult to find as they left the factory. any other colors weren't factory.
Many painted ones today are chromed to resell.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:31 pm

fast_in_muskoka wrote:thanks OldSlotMan

1575 cdn would put it at about 1180 us dollar. Maybe a little high for that condition but it really hard to tell unless you see it in person.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:33 pm

JHSS-1944 wrote:I agree with oldslotman. looks like an original machine. So many of them were made , I don't believe fakes / reproductions were ever made.
should be Natural wood, brown (or black) painted door, bonnet usually painted also. no doubt the castings were chromed / rechromed. this one is "over restored". remember , after the government stopped all nonessential use of chrome =( for military use only), mills sold these painted ,first in Silver , then Gold, then emerald. Last 2 being very difficult to find as they left the factory. any other colors weren't factory.
Many painted ones today are chromed to resell.
jeff H.

I believe they were also done in brown with chrome diamonds.
oldslotman

Postby fast_in_muskoka » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:43 pm

oldslotman wrote:
fast_in_muskoka wrote:thanks OldSlotMan

1575 cdn would put it at about 1180 us dollar. Maybe a little high for that condition but it really hard to tell unless you see it in person.

Thanks again. I might make the drive. It looks kinda purdy in the 4 sale pics.
Happy New Year
fast_in_muskoka

Postby JHSS-1944 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:59 pm

oh , my bad. actually in a "copper" color paint also.... offered after the gold. in bad lighting looks brownish.

I need to dig through my photo files to show those 3 later colors on this forum. if you found one of them , you would swear it was done in someones basement ,Not factory done.
they have a "glitter" added to the paint. I missed out on an emerald one locally, no doubt now totally repainted now. jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:09 pm

JHSS-1944 wrote:oh , my bad. actually in a "copper" color paint also.... offered after the gold. in bad lighting looks brownish.

I need to dig through my photo files to show those 3 later colors on this forum. if you found one of them , you would swear it was done in someones basement ,Not factory done.
they have a "glitter" added to the paint. I missed out on an emerald one locally, no doubt now totally repainted now. jeff H.

I believe a lot of those glitter ones are recasts. Many were recast back the 40's and early 50's.
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:20 pm

Here are two machines, one is original and one is recast. The 5 cent machine on top is original, the lower is a recast. Look at where the top and bottom castings meet. The original one will have the small lip on the top and the recast will have a wider lip on the top.
IMG_0404.JPG

IMG_2269.JPG
oldslotman

Next

Return to Slots