Callie AC Console

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Callie AC Console

Postby thepennyarcade » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:17 am

My friend of mine is a retired (sort of) old time coinop dealer.
Recently I was going through his polaroid picture collection and I came across this Callie AC console with side vender that he picked up in Toronto.
It really blew my mind.
Does anyone know anything about this model?
Sure is cool and I wish I had it.
John
Attachments
IMG_0035.jpg
thepennyarcade

Re: Callie AC Console

Postby Richard13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:47 pm

Cool machine too big for my place hope you can find one someday.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:18 am

not an expert by any means.... But , I don't recall seeing any advertisements for a console version of this specific machine. a basic A.C. (table top version) is $6,000.00 / $7,000.00 , god only knows what this one could bring. over all design & the colors of the cabinet is very nice.... gives the impression of an older era machine too.
does he have any other photos of this slot machine ?
any one have one , PLEASE post photos !!!
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby thepennyarcade » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:46 am

I only wish my friend had more photos of all the machines that he had acquired.
Back in the day a dealer/collector only took a few pictures because of the cost of developing them.
I can still remember taking a roll of 24 pictures into Japan Camera and paying $20 + Tax.
Today with digital cameras we take hundreds of pictures and put them into folders on our computers.
I have only been collecting for 20 years but about once or twice a year I see a totally mind blowing machine.
To think most of these machines didn't make it is a crying shame.
I suspect that a machine's longevity was never the manufactures/operator's intent.
They were made to make money and when a certain model didn't perform any more replace it with a newer fancier model.
thepennyarcade

Postby CJMiller » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:14 pm

JHSS-1944 wrote:not an expert by any means.... But , I don't recall seeing any advertisements for a console version of this specific machine. a basic A.C. (table top version) is $6,000.00 / $7,000.00 , god only knows what this one could bring. over all design & the colors of the cabinet is very nice.... gives the impression of an older era machine too.
does he have any other photos of this slot machine ?
any one have one , PLEASE post photos !!!
jeff H.

This is an old thread, but I talked to the owner of this machine about 20 years ago. If it wasn't this machine it was its twin. As I recall at that time it was in Michigan or Ohio and he wasn't interested in selling it. Of course I no longer have his contact information, but at least I can tell you it still existed a few years ago.

I've never seen mention of a console in any of the ads or literature either. Then again I've never found any mention of a penny AC Multibell either, but I have one:
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
CJMiller

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:39 pm

Thank you for these photos, very nice of you. someday I might find one for sale.
wounder if these had jamming issues ,hence many tossed out after use. don't seem to be that many around today.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Postby Dave » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:01 pm

The AC Multibell has always been a machine that fascinated me.

I love oddball machines and have come close to pulling the trigger a couple times at auctions.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 pm

I almost went after the one that had Mills diamonds added to the front edges. don't recall that auction. most auctions have very vague information on what you're looking at. if it's missing a part .... you over paid for a very large door stop.
JHSS-1944

Postby norabt » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:05 am

There is an ad for an AC Multibell Console on page 216 in Peter Bachs' Antique Slot Machine book of old ads. I owned a counter top AC Multibell at one time. I can see why maybe they weren't too popular, it was very hard to get a payout.
norabt

Postby CJMiller » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 am

JHSS-1944 wrote:Thank you for these photos, very nice of you. someday I might find one for sale.
wounder if these had jamming issues ,hence many tossed out after use. don't seem to be that many around today.
jeff H.

I've owned two, and jamming was never an issue, the mech is actually pretty hardy. I think the problem was that the average person walking up to one didn't have a clue how it worked or how to win on it, so they walked right past it and played the Mills or Jennings machine instead. It looks way more complicated than it actually is, but the directions on the front of the machine are close to worthless, they don't help at all. I dragged this out of storage the other day, and I had to stop and think about how it worked.

When I found this one I talked it over with Dick Buschel, and he knew of 3 or 4 penny machines.
CJMiller

Next

Return to Slots