Bonus high top calibration

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Bonus high top calibration

Postby rosekiller454356 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:41 am

I recently acquired a Mills Bonus High top to add to my collection. Machine is original colors and plays great with exception of the bonus feature. With each cycle of the machine a bonus letter is activated. I have degreased and re-oiled the bonus disc assembly, and made sure the roller bearing is in the correct
5-sided ratchet wheel position. The solution is most likely a timing issue. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
rosekiller454356

Re: Bonus high top calibration

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Years ago, I had a Bonus with the same problem.

Look at the vertical lever that comes down and hits the notch on the BONUS mechanism.

That lever should have a spring on it which holds it in the vertical position. If the spring is missing or too weak that could cause your problem.

Also, make sure the vertical lever is completely clear of the BONUS wheel that it comes down against at the end of the cycle. If it is rubbing at all then that will also cause the problem you are experiencing.

Dave

p.s., I moved this thread from uprights to slots.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby rosekiller454356 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:42 am

Thanks Dave,
The spring tension and ratchet pawl are fine. It appears the the problem is in the timing lever extension that rides forward and back on the
5 disc assemble (not the disc itself, but the cam adjacent to the reel disc). Sometimes this timing lever extension will move forward; sometimes
it won't....without regard to the bonus lettering on the reel. It appears the 5 disc sprocket assembly might have been repositioned on its shaft
as evidenced by the groove appearance of its two (2) set screws. California Antique Slots shows some good visuals, and I recently ordered a repair
manual on the bonus hightop from Mead Publishing. Something is out of kilter. Hopefully, with more replies such as yours, I'll get to the root
cause. Again, thanks
rosekiller454356

Postby rosekiller454356 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:30 pm

> After two weeks of trial and error I have finally got the bonus working properly. The calibration involved loosening the two set screws on the 5 disc cusp/ratchet, which the previous owner had obviously moved, and repositioning it. Also the idler with bearing was not positioned properly. The adjustment tolerances are most critical. Contact me should you need assistance. I will be glad to help.
Rosekiller454356
rosekiller454356

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Glad you got it working.
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Slots