Jennings 4 Star Chief Slot

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Jennings 4 Star Chief Slot

Postby ChrisRam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Hi guys I am new to the forum and new to slots. I have always wanted an antique slot machine but the ones I have seen are always way more than I am willing to spend. I got one recently for I think a good deal. I believe it is all original except the cabinet serial number is different that the inside mech serial #. Not sure what that means. It is in good working order and I absolutely love it. Anyone know the year or years this was made? I paid 650 so I think I got a good deal. It is missing the 2 Stars that would have been on the front and I am talking with a guy to get some for mine. Also was there an Indian Chief on the front? Metal or a decal? Mine is faded and looks like it was a decal at one time that has faded from age. Someone painted the base edge grey at one time, can this be taken off without hurting the value? Thanks for any help to my questions.
Attachments
20170328_142137.jpg
20170328_142039.jpg
20170328_141956-1.jpg
20170328_142118.jpg
ChrisRam

Re: Jennings 4 Star Chief Slot

Postby radiorich123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:09 pm

You have a Jennings 4 star slot. You got a good deal. My 4 star has a cast indian on the front of the machine.

Rich
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby ChrisRam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:00 pm

Thanks, I thought so too but I know nothing about antique slots except what I have read on the internet since I bought this one a few days ago. All the pics I have seen of this particular one are all restored so I am not sure if mine had a cast Indian on front or not? I do know it is missing the stars on front as I can see the outline where they used to be. Hoping to find some of those and a cast Indian Head for the front if thats what mine had originally. Not really sure what to do to it and what not to do as I don't want to devalue it any.
ChrisRam

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:26 am

Chris:
First of all, welcome to our Forum. You purchased your first Slot at a very reasonable price, considering the small missing parts.
It is a Jennings "4 Star Chief" model, but what the exact model is, that it is called, I am not sure. It is one that I haven't seen too
often. It could very likely be an operator revamp. The lower front is wood, instead of the usual casting, and the jackpot is bolted
on from the outside front, and is flat-formed steel, rather than a casting. The reason that your case & mechanism serial numbers
do not match, is also most likely due to an operator 'switcharoo'. Or could have also been done by a later owner. Don't shy away
from the machine, just because of that, as it is an odd-ball model. Maybe one of our other members, with more knowledge with
the Jennings models than I, can shed some more light on the subject.
The photo that I am showing below, is the same model as yours, with a couple of slight differences. The lower wood front, has
cherries, instead of the stars that were on yours. I'm not sure if the cherries are correct, or if the restorer decided to put them
there, as there is a Jennings "Cherry Bell" model, but this isn't it. Therefore the stars may be correct, being as yours shows the
signs of them being there. Your Indian decal, may also be correct, as there are no signs of mounting holes from a cast chief head.
You are also fortunate to have an original back door, and coin box. Hopefully it plays, and pays well. I would definitely strip the
grey paint from the base-board. Good luck with your restoration, should you decide to tackle it.
Bill
Jennings 25c '4 Star Chief' - Cherries w-wood front (repaint).jpg
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:36 am

Welcome to the forum !!
well, for you first machine to your collection, you did very well ! and the price is a big part of it.
this machine might be a revamp but, also might be a company transitional machine. Honestly not sure.
Guessing early 1940's. I believe the 4 star first came out in 1936, replacing the troublesome 1 star (coin entry issues).
now what you have doesn't seem very familiar to me but , doubt it's a revamp from another company , why bother adding back Jennings logos to it ? I don't recall Buckley revamping Jennings machines but ,that's a possibility.
any way you look at it , you found a very nice Jennings machine, at a very good price, & with a little restoration, you'll love it better.
the stars do look familiar, but not sure why.
But the decal.... give "me" a rough estimate on it's size. In a few days I might actually have a few in my hands.... might be close , might be exact, we'll see. might be originals that one couldn't use today also.

Below is the version released "first" , casting is the hunting scene. this one has the hard to find Gold (prosperity) award token feature.
keep us informed of anything else you notice on it.
Hopefully a Jennings expert makes some comments soon on it.

jeff H.
Attachments
my Jennings togetheragain..JPG
JHSS-1944

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:08 am

decals I have coming , the Indian Head like this.
does your's look like it was in color ??
they just got send to me today , so at the mercy of the mail system on when they arrive.
jeff H.
Attachments
bought 6 - Copy.jpg
JHSS-1944

Postby radiorich123 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:39 am

HI

Here is a photo of my Jennings 4 star slot with the wood lower front.

Rich
Attachments
MVC-008F.JPG
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby ChrisRam » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:59 am

Thanks for the replies guys! Also thanks for the photos, those are some nice looking slots you guys have there!
Jeff my decal is roughly 2 3/4 tall by 2 1/2 wide. I also do not see a hole where a cast Indian head would have been but I ordered one and some stars and will probably use it where the decal is now. It does have some colors in it as some of it still shows, here is a close up pic of it. The machine itself plays well and so far it pays out accurately. The guy I purchased it from has another he is selling and 2 that he is keeping, I am going back today to have a good look at the other one for sale. It is a different slot than the one I bought but I think it is also a Jennings not sure. Will post a pic if I get it today, he was asking 1200 for it so I went with the one I got at 650 instead.
Attachments
20170329_113044.jpg
ChrisRam

Postby JHSS-1944 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:55 am

casting are very close to the silver moon chief / club model ,And the export model.... except for the four star coin entry section.
Attachments
silver moon chief or club.jpg
JHSS-1944

Postby ChrisRam » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:03 am

Yes that is very similar indeed. I have only been able to find one like mine online that has the Chief decal in the center. Here is a pic. I also found an Indian Head for the front laast night, the seller on the site I got it from did not know what it was but I believe it for the Jennings Chief slots, not sure if its a repro or original, its more crisp in detail than other repro castings I have seen. He is not a slot dealer nor has anyrhing to do with slots, just a seller on a site similar to ebay. Here is a pic. I ordered one from Dave and I am going to see which one looks better or I may go back with a decal, not sure yet. I looked at the guys other slot yesterday and it was a Buckley Criss Cross 10 cent slot with an old terrible restoration, at 1200 I left it alone.
Attachments
Screenshot_20170329-233229.png
Screenshot_20170329-233219.png
20170330_115052.png
ChrisRam

Next

Return to Slots