Caille Doughboy

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Caille Doughboy

Postby pachiwall! » Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:59 pm

I reicently bought a Caille Doughboy. I am surprised that there is so little info on the web about them. I believe it is a 1935 because it has 10 stop "star wheels" for the brakes to stop the reels. I believe I read somewhere that 20 stop ones started in 1936. Also all the pics that I have seen have a round double jackpot and mine has a square double jackpot.
The jackpot does not automatically fill. As I understand it, a gate opens at the bottom of the escalator to allow a coin to enter the jackpot each time you get 2 cherries. If it had a clock, I would stop the fan to align 2 cherries to see what linkages move...but it has a hydraulic dampener as opposed to a mechanical clock. For the same reason, I can not test the jackpot to see if it pays on 3 bars. I read that there is a screw that regulates it from full speed to total stop, and can be used for this purpose. I have not tried that yet.
I wanted to get in with those who know, and learn more before I started tinkering and making things worse! I have pics...but dont know how to post them yet.
pachiwall!

Re: Caille Doughboy

Postby marsonion » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:38 pm

pachiwall! wrote:I reicently bought a Caille Doughboy. I am surprised that there is so little info on the web about them. I believe it is a 1935 because it has 10 stop "star wheels" for the brakes to stop the reels. I believe I read somewhere that 20 stop ones started in 1936. Also all the pics that I have seen have a round double jackpot and mine has a square double jackpot.
The jackpot does not automatically fill. As I understand it, a gate opens at the bottom of the escalator to allow a coin to enter the jackpot each time you get 2 cherries. If it had a clock, I would stop the fan to align 2 cherries to see what linkages move...but it has a hydraulic dampener as opposed to a mechanical clock. For the same reason, I can not test the jackpot to see if it pays on 3 bars. I read that there is a screw that regulates it from full speed to total stop, and can be used for this purpose. I have not tried that yet.
I wanted to get in with those who know, and learn more before I started tinkering and making things worse! I have pics...but dont know how to post them yet.

You're welcome to contact me by PM: I've gotten many of these 1930s Cailles up-and-running from zero, and can help you with tips, pics, lit, refs, parts, etc. For instance, a forum friend and I devised a "pump-stopper" for forcing payouts; also, yes, your rectangular JP definitely indicates that you do indeed own an actual Dough-Boy model, from 1935... so do I.
marsonion

Postby pachiwall! » Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:27 am

2050-12-31 23.59.59-40.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-39.jpg
The seller refinished the woodand painted the casting. Not sure if the award card is a repro or original...he stated the reel strips have been replaced.
Learning how to post pics, they are not placed where I want them...but at least they are there!
2050-12-31 23.59.59-44.jpg
Thats better, now I'm learning! I thought the threaded hole was added for a handle to work on when outside the cabinet...but I think I read somewhere that a handle was included and stored in the cashbox.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-45.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-46.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-47.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-43.jpg
The door lock has been replaced, the door is VERY heavy so I expect it is original. The door label with instructions for loading the jackpot is mostly gone. I can load the jackpot easily, but don't know what position the various levers should be in to make it payout. I ordered a 4 reel door label off of eBay, but the illustrations were so dark they were useless.
pachiwall!

Postby Anglobritish » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:06 am

$(KGrHqFHJDcE63Z(jjCLBO5WYRVM3w~~60_3.jpg
George W. Walker designer for The Caille Organisation 1937.jpg
The Caille Commander with Side Vendor-2 001.jpg
Caille Play Boy Flyer.jpg
hi,
Your Doughboy was designed by George walker a famous designer in the 1930's, your model was his creation for 1935 he went on to create the Caille Cadet, Playboy with No Lemon Feature and Commander for 1937 those models had the round jackpot, he also was the first designer to introduce a range of slot machines in a choice of colors. Caille Brothers commissioned him from 1935 to 1938.

Freddy Bailey
Attachments
The Caille Cadet 1937-3 001.jpg
Anglobritish

Postby marsonion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:56 am

Though this video demonstrates the operation of the JP mechanism in the Cadet (1936) model, there are enough similarities between this model and your Doughboy that you may well find it useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdwjI4mkF4U

As Freddy indicates, your 1935 machine was styled by George Walker, who went on to become a VP at Ford Motor Company and was in charge of the design of the first Thunderbirds; he may have also been responsible for the styling of the Edsel, though I haven't run across any published reference to that, aside from this magazine cover.
Attachments
TIMEgeoWalker.jpg
marsonion

Postby marsonion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:45 pm

I think the "zig-zag" lever at the bottom of your escalator is mounted upside-down, indicating a possible restorer's modification to the JP feed (compare with attached image). What ought to happen during operation is: a two-cherry win will cause a flange on the cherry vertical finger to tip the horizontal lever along the handle-side of the mech, causing a pin at the bottom of the escalator to fall back and drop a nickel down a ramp to the reserve. Accumulating nickels in the reserve pile up and raise the ramp which in turn causes the "zig-zag" to disengage the feeding process. Note that nickels don't start piling into the reserve until the main JP has filled far enough to cause the ballasted casting in the video (linked, above) to tip backwards, allowing the sliding floor of the reserve to lock shut (the poster of the video uses his finger to simulate the effect of this casting being tipped backwards); up to that point, the reserve floor should slide open on each play, allowing nickels to drop all the way down into the main JP... I know, this whole process is clear as mud! #-o
Attachments
JPfeedLever.jpg
JPfeedLever.jpg (66.25 KiB) Viewed 9374 times
marsonion

Postby pachiwall! » Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:41 pm

Thank you all for the help! Of all the searching I did on YouTube...I don't know how I missed that one! I work 3rd shift & getting ready for work now, so I can't look at it...but I will check those things out. There is a "finger" at the bottom of the escalator (seller called it an elevator) that looks bent to me.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-49.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-50.jpg
2050-12-31 23.59.59-51.jpg
The spring looks home made. Not sure if it is interacting with the part on the side as well.
pachiwall!

Postby pachiwall! » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Using information gathered in the above posts, and some information in a PM, I have been looking into why the reserve does not fill on "cherry, cherry, any" Testing has not been easy, as I can not stop the "clock" in order to line up a winning combination. Sure, I can stop the (hydraulic) clock by turning the screw on the side...but you can't reach it when the mechanism is in the cabinet. It is also hard to see if the "lightning bolt", which I flipped over because I was informed that it was upside down, is interacting with the "jackpot reserve cut off" that stops when reserve is full.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-165.jpg
As I looked down through the reel window...it appears to be sliding under the moving lever of the reserve mechanism. It bumps it at first, but slides under after a little wiggling. I tried to take a few pics...but none of them were good.
The mechanism that holds the coin back from rolling down top the reserve is a little sticky. I have a parts machine I got from the same seller. It is newer, as the payout tube and overflow is brass, not tin...and has a lot of cherries on black reels. Was informed that it is probably a Playboy. I studied the escelator (broken in 2) from the parts machine, and discovered that the lever on my doughboy appeares to have been modified.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-171.jpg
The modified lever is peened on the doughboy, and brazed on the playboy. There is a long tail on the part from the playboy, that appears to have been cut off of the doughboy.
2050-12-31 23.59.59-176.jpg
Not a great pic...but it looks like it has been cut and filed. What is the tail of this lever do. I am already considering swapping them, as I expect there is a good reason for it originally being there. It looks like I can drive out a pin on the other end and replace easily.
pachiwall!

Postby marsonion » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Pachiwall!:

Here's a few pictures of the "Pump-Stopper" we discussed over the phone. When you cycle the machine, just catch the pin at the top of the pump-crank in the hole, and you can then advance and reverse the cycle a little just by tilting the bar slightly up and down, or simply hang a weight on it (such as a pair of pliers :D ) for a "hands-free" pause of the cycle.
Attachments
DSCF0002.JPG
MarkIIb.JPG
MarkII.JPG
marsonion

Postby pachiwall! » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 pm

thank you for those pics! This will enable me to learn more about what is going on, as I can pause the action as I study it!
pachiwall!

Next

Return to Slots