Mills 10c Machine- Real or Fake?

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills 10c Machine- Real or Fake?

Postby steed20 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:57 pm

I've been looking to add a Millls machine to my game room- I currently have an electronic Bally's IGT Proslot machine, which is fun, but want a truly mechanical machine.

I've read through a bunch of different things regarding the Mills machines and how to spot a fake. I found a machine online, (local pick up only) with no details, except for saying "excellent condition", and I'm not sure. I was guided over to this site, as there are a lot of experts here, with fine eyes for detail.

A couple things that I found that make me think this machine is real-

-MOST (I know not all) reproduction machines are quarter denomination- this one is dime
-Double bars present in the coin escalator- I think I can see double bars in the front of the coin escalator- if I'm looking at the right thing...
-Back door is not smooth and is rough- most reproductions are smooth doors. This one has a label on the inside of it as well, which I cannot read.
-Handle looks proper, from the little bit I can see.

I've read more things to look at, but I haven't seen the machine in person.

There is one thing that sets a red flag off, of sorts- I read on another forum that if the machine pays out on 1 cherry, there is a good chance it's a fake. I'm not sure how much truth there is to this or not...

Also, from what I can see, this machine does not have the Jackpot Feature in it, but from what I've read, it can be added??

I'm attaching some pics of the machine, all of the pics I have. Unfortunately the seller has been difficult to get ahold of- hopefully some of my questions (more pictures) will be answered over the weekend when they see their emails.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
steed20

Re: Mills 10c Machine- Real or Fake?

Postby Dave » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:17 pm

The wood base does not look right to me.

I don't recall ever seeing a legit Castle Front with a single cherry payout.

The mechanism looks like an original.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby steed20 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:22 pm

Thanks Dave. That was my feeling as well, after the amount of info I've read on these machines over the past few weeks. I also emailed the pics to a gentleman who restores these machines and he said that it's missing a pump and has doubts about it's originality.

I'll keep searching...
steed20

Postby randyvw » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:51 pm

i'm here to offer some advice, even though you didn't ASK me....a good friend always tells me "if you buy a machine with problems, then you turn around and SELL it.....there's PROBLEMS". i like to buy nice original machines, with decent paint, original mech., not dicked with....and a little further with some, i want machines with "stories". these stories may have to do with what location they were used in, or WHO used them, or something that made them prettier, or what gimicky thingy made them legal in said territory, when other machines were busted up. every lil feature you add seems to drive up the price, but when you go to sell it.....you got a NICE machine, not a boat anchor. i TRY to collect nice machines, even though i sometimes buy a dog too. but if you're only gonna have one or two, they should be NICE.....that's what separates a collector from a guy with a slot machine or two...... thanks fer listnin'.
randyvw

Postby mechanic » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:33 pm

Can you add a pic of the cashbox top flap?
mechanic

Postby gsx11r » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:44 am

Hello
For me , STAY AWAY !!
-Wood case : reproduction
-Casting: seem to be a reproduction ,coin entry is for 25ç with 10ç escalator. Some molding trouble arround the jackpot
-backbonnet : seem to be a reproduction also ,no metal plat fixed on it. Some molding trouble also
-Seem that there are no jackpot
-Mechanism :seem to be an original but not for this model !! If the award card is right ,not possible to have 2 coin for one cherry on this model .and some parts on it tell me that is for an other model ,a next generation like an Hitop !

So ,always for me , wait and try to find better that this one !!

Stephane
gsx11r

Return to Slots