A Vest Pocket that's too light!

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

A Vest Pocket that's too light!

Postby shortrackskater » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:48 pm

I recently bought another Vest Pocket. When it arrived, I realized it was chromed (thought it was gray from the ebay picture) but after discussing it with Dave, he said it was likely chromed later in life.
I just started working on it and was installing a temporary lock on the back door. I borrowed another door from one of my (many!) other VP's and noticed that the chrome door is MUCH lighter than the other one. And the heavier door won't quite fit on the back of the chromed one. It's very strange. The mechanism is the same as all my others. The case looks stock and the back door had the Mills number on it as well. I wonder if it was sandblasted and just got smaller??? It feels like its aluminum. The others I have feel like pot metal. I'm stumped. Here's a shot of the machine. I'll do a back door photo and add it here when I get home.
Attachments
IMG_5443.JPG
shortrackskater

Re: A Vest Pocket that's too light!

Postby Dave » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:52 pm

Weren't some Vest Pockets actually made by Sega?

If so, perhaps Sega changed some things.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby GEM » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Are you sure the machine is chrome? It looks like polished aluminum to me. As for the size and weight, the early (wrinkled green painted) Vest Pockets had much lighter weight cases then the later versions that came painted hammered blue, gold, silver, etc. The later version's back doors do not fit on the early version, it is mainly due to the thickness of the aluminum. All Vest Pockets were made of aluminum. The one you say is chrome was most likely wrinkled green originally. I hope this helps. George.
GEM

Postby shortrackskater » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:15 pm

I think that's what it is!
I didn't realize they were aluminum. I've had one I had bought for parts and part of the door was broken and it just seemed so thick!
This makes more sense now. It seems to come a little cleaner each time I polish it. I think I might just leave it that way.
I wish someone would write a book on the history of the Vest Pocket along with what year specific serial numbers could be traced to.
Thanks for that information.
Attachments
CIMG1514.jpg
shortrackskater

Return to Slots