jackpot

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

jackpot

Postby bosmod » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:59 am

is there a way to check the operation of the jackpot on a Mills high top while the machine is together?
bosmod

Re: jackpot

Postby Imyourcaptain » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 am

Not really, you could take the top off the front and cycle machine. Usually there’s 4 bolts holding the top in place, just remove the mech and pop them out, you will also have to remove the tube the catches coins from overflow to the jackpot if I remember correctly.
Imyourcaptain

Postby MONTI » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:52 am

I assume that you are talking about the Front Jackpot Assembly located on the back/interior side of the lower front casting!
The first way would be to cycle the slot machine and immediately catch the fan on the top of the clock and set up a Jackpot on the pay line and release the clock fan and allow the Jackpot symbols to lock up on the pay line and if the front jackpot pays out you are probably fine, if not then
you would have to at least remove the mechanism and manually activate the front jackpot trip and reset levers as shown in the picture here below!
#1, Trips the main jackpot and releases the main jackpot flap which would allow coins from the main jackpot to spill into the money bowl!
Pushing up on #1 would, or should cause the above action!
#2, Moving forward on the next handle pull would cause the initial trip lever #1, to reset closing and locking the main jackpot flap and at the same time #3 is pushed forward allowing the reserve jackpot flap to release coins from the reserve jackpot into the main jackpot to refill it!
Then on the next handle pull #4 is pushed forward which would reset the reserve jackpot flap with a relatively audible snapping sound as it springs forward!
The above would confirm front jackpot operation!
All moving parts on the front jackpot would have to be free moving and not gummed up for all the above to occur properly!
To confirm the handshake between the mechanism and the front jackpot is a little more difficult when the mechanism is in the cabinet!
It can be done, if you know what you are looking for, by shining a small flashlight thru the mechanism under the reels and above and a little left of the clock fan and visually looking at the interact of the trip and reset function but this is only possible if you know the interaction that should take place!
The better way is to remove the top casting from the cabinet and look done from above and you would more easily see the action that would take place!
Of course all trip and reset levers would have to be present on both the front jackpot and on the payout slide assembly!
There are a couple different styles of front jackpots as to the type of #1 trip lever that is used and as to the apparatus that is on the payout slide assembly that would interact with it as well but only a picture of your front jackpot and the payout slide assembly would clarify that and mentioning it here now would just be confusing!
I hope this helps somewhat but someone else may be able to explain this better!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

MILLS Front Jackpot operation2.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby bosmod » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:03 am

thank you. i will try that. i just want to insure i put everything back together in working condition.
bosmod

Postby mikesoldtoys » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:54 pm

mikesoldtoys

Postby Harley Hound » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Your posts, explanations, and pictures are the best I've seen so I hope you can shed some light on a similar issue I'm having with my 1946 Mills Black Cherry reserve jackpot. I'm a newbie at all this so please be patient with my lack of expertise.

Everything works on the jackpot payout except the reserve does not trip to reload the jackpot when it is won although it is full of coins. I have no idea if parts are missing, there's a misunderstanding on my part, an adjustment issue or something else. I just purchased the machine and everything appears to be clean and in working order. I'm about to start investigating what's going on so yours, or anyone else's input for that matter, is greatly appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_3145.jpeg
IMG_3146.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg
Harley Hound

Postby MONTI » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:42 am

Hello Harley Hound!
Don't feel bad because the front jackpot interaction with the mechanism in a Mills slot machine can be somewhat overwhelming to understand as in slot machines for every action there is a reaction and if one action does not occur there can be a failed operation!
That being said I have some photos posted here below, the first two are of your components with comments on the photos and the others are general photos describing operation with the last being the removal of the front jackpot and vise mounting so that you can bring action to the assembly and follow it thru to see how the operation works and also, if needed, clean the gunk left by previous lubrication and re-lubricate with a light oil for proper operation!
All of the interaction between the mechanism and the front jackpot needs to have all contact points interacting properly or in your case an action, like tripping and resetting the reserve jackpot will not occur!
Also, the photo above in a previous post on this thread also describes the operation in more detail!
Visually seeing this with the mechanism in the cabinet can be hard but with proper illumination from the back of the mech and looking thru the mech the interaction points can be seen, if, and this is a big IF, you know what you are looking for!
Absolute worst case scenario the upper casting can be removed so you can illuminate and look straight down on the contact points but this is time consuming!
Kind of hard to go thru all the points here but if you have further questions or wish to make contact with me you may PM me and from there we could possibly communicate by phone as well!
BONA FORTUNA!
MONTI

PS
If I missed something, which at my age sometimes occurs! LOL
Someone else here on the forum may have additional comments which are always welcome!
Ciao!

1 Slide Stack & Reset lever.jpeg

2 Front Jackpot angled view from back.jpeg

3 MECH SLIDES showing Front Jackpot Trips.JPG

4 JP 3 quarter view.jpg

5 front JP vise mounted.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Slots