Mills Castle Front

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

Mills Castle Front

Postby Rudyjr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:36 am

I have an old 5 cent Mills Castle Front that belonged to my Grandfather. This machine according to my father sat in the back room of one of his businesses in London Ohio for many years. When I was a boy my grandad had this machine sitting on his workbench in his basement In Plain City Ohio. He would sit me on a stool and give me a bag of nickels and let me play it while he worked on cash registers. It was painted over with silver furnace paint at some point, my dad said so that it wouldn't be seen by the authorities in the forties. When my father was in the process of moving my grandparents to Columbus in 1980 I arrived at their house to see him carrying the machine to the scrap pile out back. I stopped him and rescued it and took it home. In the early eighties I stripped and polished the exterior parts of the machine and refinished the wood cabinet. I had the handle and payout card frame re chromed. I cleaned up the mechanism as best I could and re lubricated it as best I could without disassembly. It sits in my basement recreation room on the bar and it is a constant conversation piece. It works but could probably use a good disassembly and cleaning and thorough going through. I am now in my sixties and would like to make sure that this thing is in good working order when I pass it on. Any tips or good sources for anyone that could possibly give me some assistance to bring this up to snuff? Thanks, Jim
Rudyjr

Re: Mills Castle Front

Postby damikeguy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:22 am

I would help but you’re a good 4 hours away. There are quite a few qualified people in the Ohio area.
Mike
damikeguy

Postby Rudyjr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:39 am

Thanks, I don't think it is going to take much. Hopefully there is somebody in central Ohio that can give me some guidance.
Rudyjr

Postby Rudyjr » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:44 am

I have some good pictures of it just can't figure out how to get them right side up! I contacted somebody out of state almost forty years ago when I attempted to restore the outside of it. He told me the colors to use and sent me a hand drawn picture showing where they went. In looking on this forum I have seen other colors used so maybe someone can tell me how I did for this model. I know that the front of this case has the glass for a token dispenser but there is nothing on the reels to indicate that and there is no mechanism for it in the machine.
Attachments
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1052.JPG
IMG_1051.JPG
Rudyjr

Postby mechanic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:42 pm

Rudy I know a few guys in your area. If you want I can try and have them call you. I get out your way only a few times a year visiting family in Columbus. PM me your phone number so I can have them contact you direct. Later Jim
mechanic

Postby Rudyjr » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:18 pm

Jim, Thanks so much will do I appreciate the help. Jim
Rudyjr

Return to Slots