1929 MIlls Lions Head lower jackpot not closed

This area is to discuss slot machines. A slot machine is defined as a machine that pays the customer something of value (coin, token, etc.) when a winning combination is hit.

This area created on 2/7/17

1929 MIlls Lions Head lower jackpot not closed

Postby triphux » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:03 am

Greetings to (the lovers of) the old exotic and complicated.

This question concerns my Mills 5 cent Lions Head machine which dates from about 1929. It has been in my family since the 60s, and it still works pretty well, and is in fair condition- un-restored. Lore has it that a local cop (off-duty, presumably) sold it to my folks for $100 in 1966.

Takes coins, arm/lever requires some elbow grease and as it is pulled one hears a series of 'clicks and pings' the groaning of gears. Wheels spins well, and stop cleanly, pay-offs are accurate...

BUT...

...this machine does have one minor and slightly quirky characteristic, related to the lower jackpot. It tends to leak nickles as it is sometimes 1/4" open for long periods, though it seems to shut tight during 'play.'

This can't be normal, but I don't know if it's a common or obscure issue, or one which would be easy or difficult to remedy. Any insights?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Trip
Asheville, NC
triphux

Re: 1929 MIlls Lions Head lower jackpot not closed

Postby RameGoom » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:46 pm

On the jackpot reserve trip lever, you have to set it as shown in the pic. The lever is currently in the "incorrect" position. Remove the jackpot, set the lever and carefully re-install it on the casting being sure it doesn't slip out. This explains your leaking coins.
Attachments
jackpot-reserve-trip-lever.jpg
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby triphux » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 am

R.
With excitement and gratitude, I read your email with clear photos.
Will muster courage and attempt the adjustment this eve. (and report back)
Thank you so much!
T.
triphux

Postby MONTI » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:48 pm

Just to add to what is stated above if as you say "it seems to shut tight during play" when you pull the handle the slides come forward to refill if needed and reset and at the same time that the slides come forward they push on the main jackpot trip/reset linkage this would explain the "it seems to shut tight during play" statement, however if the main jackpot trip/reset linkage does not lock up in the reset position the flap will again open as shown in your photo!
So from this I assume that your issue is the main jackpot is not fully resetting and holding!
This could occur for different reasons, possibly the mechanism is setting to far back on the base plate or the base plate is to far back!
This would cause the slides resetting to not go forward enough to fully reset the main jackpot trip/reset linkage!
Also the linkage on the front jackpot may need a thorough cleaning when you remove it make sure all the linkage is free moving and not sticking due to old lubricant or worse dried grease which should not be used on these moving parts as grease will cause gumming them up!
Also, your Lions Head has an inspection plate that is directly under the Lions Eye which has two screws inside that can be removed, this is there so that when you have the mechanism in the cabinet you can watch thru the opening to make sure that the linkage on the front jackpot is interacting properly with the mechanism payout slides coming forward on the handle pull!
I hope this helps as it can be a little confusing to understand some descriptive photos below!
MONTI

1 JACKPOT TRIP LEVERS on front casting.jpg

1 JACKPOT TRIPS & RESETS on mech.jpg

JACKPOT TRIP LEVER positions2.JPG

2 email JP 3 quarter view.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby RameGoom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:04 pm

Good description and information Monti!
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby MONTI » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank Ya Ramegoom!
Your explanation on the reserve flap was good as well, as that is a common error when someone removes the front jackpot for cleaning, Etc. and places it back onto the front casting/glass!
I've had a few come into the shop that way!
Take Care My Friend!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Return to Slots