WANTED 50 CENT ROL-A-TOR, OR, ROL-A-TOP

Looking for a particular machine? Ask for it here!

WANTED 50 CENT ROL-A-TOR, OR, ROL-A-TOP

Postby J57T » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:31 am

Seeking a working 50 cent Rol a Tor, or Rol A Top. Prefer original over restored, tin strips over paper, "Watling" keys over generic copies that work, legible numbers, 50 cent not English penny, good condition or better not a project. I may not get everything that I prefer, but I would consider the closest match. Let me know if you have any leads. Thank you in advance.
J57T

Re: WANTED 50 CENT ROL-A-TOR, OR, ROL-A-TOP

Postby Dave » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:09 pm

Look in the for sale section of the forum. I think a couple were recently listed for sale.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby J57T » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:03 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. The 50 cent RAT that I saw, has a reply "Machine is pending sale". :( Still looking, Thanks again.
J57T

Postby watlingboy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:12 pm

There's a good chance you'll find a 50 cent Rol-A-Top but the Rol-A-Tor is going to be very hard to find. I'll bet you can count the surviving examples of those on one hand. We were thick in the depression when the Rol-A-Tor was introduced in 1935 and then they were only made for a few months. The prewar machines with the oak cases will have the tin strips but harder to find. After WWII we had inflation and that is when the majority of 50 cent machines were made. The post war machines will have the paper strips and plywood cases. These are still very desireable and highly sought after. You may come across one with an oak case and paper strips because dealers/collectors in the early days of collecting, 1980's, realized they could get more money for them if they had oak cases so many were recased with repro oak cases. Don't think you have to worry about buying an English penny model because to my knowledge, none were ever made. The little blue 50 cent denomination badge is correct. If you find a good machine, don't worry about the back door lock or cash box. A good machine is much harder to find than those items. Good luck with your hunt.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Return to Machines Wanted