Wanted: Mills 5c Extraordinary, early version

Looking for a particular machine? Ask for it here!

Wanted: Mills 5c Extraordinary, early version

Postby JPCass » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:06 am

Mills_WF AKA Extraordinary Silent Bell ad - blue.jpg

I'm looking for the version seen in the early advertising, with two separate front castings for the top and bottom including a section with vertical lines on both sides (at the top of the bottom casting) that breaks up the horizontal line framing the machine, in medium-dark blue and aluminum/silver - or a machine to restore to that color scheme. I'm also willing to do mechanical and other restoration, even to a "barn find". I believe the earliest versions had an upper jackpot window (not show in ad picture, above) though often blocked with a plate, and also the round (not rectangular) 5c badge. No mint vendors, and preferably no gold award windows either.

Thanks,

JP

EDIT: Credit for the photo should go to Don Creekmore at Nations Attic, who has helpfully reproduced old vintage advertising - this is one of a matching set of three also showing the Extraordinary Gold Award and Extraordinary Vendor (internal) models.
Last edited by JPCass on Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Re: Wanted: Mills 5c Extraordinary, early version

Postby oldslotman » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:38 am

Would you be interested in a 10 cent machine?
oldslotman

Postby Anglobritish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:57 pm

millsexb23.jpg
This model also came with a Gold Award attachement.

Freddy
Anglobritish

Postby oldslotman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:13 pm

IMG_1558.JPG
Here is one I'm currently working on. It goes into an upright console. Looking for a metal eagle plaque for the front if anyone has one.
oldslotman

Postby YourBestBet » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:53 pm

oldslotman wrote:
IMG_1558.JPG
Here is one I'm currently working on. It goes into an upright console. Looking for a metal eagle plaque for the front if anyone has one.

Looks great!
YourBestBet

Postby JPCass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:08 pm

oldslotman wrote:
IMG_1558.JPG

Nice.

Let me know if you figure out where to get the metal eagle plaques, I want to sock one away for my next project. I asked around recently, but it sounds like the source I got them from long ago, in Vegas I think, is no longer around and no one is currently producing them.
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
JPCass

Postby JPCass » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:25 pm

Anglobritish wrote:
The attachment millsexb23.jpg is no longer available
This model also came with a Gold Award attachement.

Freddy

Thanks for that.

That's the version of the machine I'm looking for, except in a 5 cent model (and preferably, without the award) - it even has the reserve jackpot window. I'm realizing now, that the old Mills advertising pictures (one of which I reproduced in my first post) show the version with only a single window in the casting. Mine came with the window covered with a matching cast piece that attached with screws and steel braces, which I assume was a transitional feature, and which I removed. Am I right about the development of that, was the two-window version the first?

My machine also had an original cast filler plate in the award window (also held in by screws) and I assume it was always an optional. The same old Mills advertising also showed a "Gold Award" model, as well as that feature combined with a side vender:

Mills_WF AKA Extraordinary Silent Golden ad - side vender.jpg

Here are pictures that I found and saved, of two different early types of front casting (I've also seen a later version with the side design changed slightly, and a large singe front casting rather than a two-piece one):
Attachments
Mills_Extaordinary-bottom_front-single_jackpot-IMG_6576_file.jpg
Mills_Extaordinary-bottom_front-double_jackpot-token_window-IMG_7191_file.jpg
JPCass

Postby oldslotman » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:28 am

JPCass wrote:
oldslotman wrote:
IMG_1558.JPG

Nice.

Let me know if you figure out where to get the metal eagle plaques, I want to sock one away for my next project. I asked around recently, but it sounds like the source I got them from long ago, in Vegas I think, is no longer around and no one is currently producing them.

Squires & Corrie has one on their website.
oldslotman

Postby JPCass » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:08 pm

oldslotman wrote:
JPCass wrote:
oldslotman wrote:
The attachment IMG_1558.JPG is no longer available

Nice.

Squires & Corrie has one on their website.

Thanks. I tried to nail Steve down a while back about exactly what he had in Eagle plates, when I called about some other things, and he seemed unsure (like black versus blue on the metal versions) and wanting to be certain of what I really wanted before he went hunting, and since his prices are high I wasn't just going to grab one on speculation.

I did finally just find what I was looking for on eBay. The machine is close to a "barn find" - though apparently mostly complete and original/old, with no obvious significant damage (like warped or rotted base) - but somebody else apparently wanted it about as much as I did so it got bid up fairly high at the last moment. But I don't bid more than I would be happy with, I just didn't get a bargain like sometimes you can....

The machine has an eagle plate that may or may not be original, and I'm not sure of it's condition, so I'm don't know yet if I'll really need one. I will be looking for the 5c round badge that it's missing, an original handle, and maybe the spring and flap for the cashbox if those are worth putting back on. I'll make a proper posting to Parts Wanted when I've had a chance to assess everything that it needs.

If any of y'all know this machine, think it has problems I missed (the mech is out in this picture, but I'm getting it with it, and it's supposed to at least turn over and spin), or I got ripped off, go ahead and share what you think or know, I'd like to learn. I was willing to pay a premium after searching for quite a while, to finally have the machine I was looking for - this does appear to be an earlier one with the jackpot reserve (upper) window - and get it in to a new house I'm buying and fixing up. My plan is to restore it to the early color scheme of the Mills ads that I posted earlier, with royal blue detailing and the metal frame either painted silver or polished (but not plated!), I'll be busy this summer....

JP
Attachments
Mills_Extaordinary-as_purchased.jpg
JPCass

Postby oldslotman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 pm

That machine does appear to have the gold award hardware all there. Interesting to see if the mech he sends you also has the gold award reel bundle on it.
oldslotman

Next

Return to Machines Wanted