Norman Rubenstein Auction

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Norman Rubenstein Auction

Postby gumball43 » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Hi All,
I attended the Norman Rubenstein auction in Wichita, Ks last weekend. Had a great time and met a couple of big collectors too!!! For sure, I felt most everything went way High. I have decided that eBay prices are not high at all....hehe!!! Just my opinion of course... My main interest at the auction was the seven Master machines all listed in one lot......I was ready to bid 3,200.00 and try and buy.....Boy was I shocked when they brought Six Grand......yes Six Grand.....what a deal...My main interest was the Nickel Only gooseneck version... Here I am thinking I could get them all, keep the nickel version for my collection and sell the others...... :cry: I bought nothing at the auction...
I did find a really neat peanut warmer/dispenser on the way home, at an antique mall. It was made by the Universal Mfg. Co out of Chicago. It has a patent date of 6-12-23 on it. Really neat machine.....It has a round cyclinder globe. The bottom half is frosted and it has a red light bulb in the bottom to warm the peanuts... The decal on it made the sale. It says "Oh Boy" below that "Got a Nickel?" below that "Hot Peanuts" and below that "They're Great" If you know anything about the history or company on this peanut warmer. I would appreciate hearing from you. Not Coin operated, but very Cool!!!
Thanks, Steve gummachines@yahoo.com
gumball43

recent auction attended

Postby mrolucky » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:05 pm

If you don't mind, please list some of the slot machines sold and the amount they went for..

Thanks
mrolucky

Postby Nations Attic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:23 pm

Here is a list of some of the slot machines that sold for some amazing prices

1. Watling Treasury with front Vendors - $5500
2. 2nd Watling Treasury with front Vendors - $6000
3. Frank Polk John Wayne Machine - $62500 (that's not a typo)
4. Caille Center Pull - $9000
5. Set of 4 Mills QT Sweetheart - $9500
6. Caille Centaur - $18000
7. Mills Check Boy - $8000
8. Mills Baseball FOK - $5000

There was also the sign off the front of the Watling factory building, that went for $3500.

All of these machines for the most part went for a little more than eBay prices. Then again, a few of them have never been on eBay so it's hard to say.

As a side note to my COCA article, everyone is welcome to visit www.nationsattic.com/coca.htm and I can give you eBay auction results on individual machines at no charge. I do have complete printed copies of the eBay sales results from Nov. 2003 to present available as well.

Don

Nations Attic
Nations Attic

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:50 pm

Don:

Thanks for posting the information. I really appreciate you taking the time to do it and I'll bet the other people do to.

If you have any digital photos then email them to me (Dave@IBuyOldSlots.com) and I will post them here.

In fact if ANYONE has any photos from this auction please send them to me.

I would also be interested in hearing other peoples thoughts about the auction.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:52 pm

I also wanted to thank gumball43 for posting his thoughts on the auction.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:16 pm

What denomination was the Center Pull and was it the nude front or mint vendor model?

Also, what condition was it in? For $9,000 it must have been pretty nice.

One other question, were those prices including buyers premium? If not, how much was the buyers permium (I assume there was one).

Thanks

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Nations Attic » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:23 pm

It was a nickel mint vendor model nice condition. There was a 10% buyers premium in person and 18% over the Internet, plus tax.

The prices listed do not reflect the premium added in.
Nations Attic

Re: Norman Rubenstein Auction

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:19 pm

gumball43 wrote:Hi All,
I attended the Norman Rubenstein auction in Wichita, Ks last weekend. Had a great time and met a couple of big collectors too!!! For sure, I felt most everything went way High. I have decided that eBay prices are not high at all....hehe!!! Just my opinion of course... My main interest at the auction was the seven Master machines all listed in one lot......I was ready to bid 3,200.00 and try and buy.....Boy was I shocked when they brought Six Grand......yes Six Grand.....what a deal...My main interest was the Nickel Only gooseneck version... Here I am thinking I could get them all, keep the nickel version for my collection and sell the others...... :cry: I bought nothing at the auction...
I did find a really neat peanut warmer/dispenser on the way home, at an antique mall. It was made by the Universal Mfg. Co out of Chicago. It has a patent date of 6-12-23 on it. Really neat machine.....It has a round cyclinder globe. The bottom half is frosted and it has a red light bulb in the bottom to warm the peanuts... The decal on it made the sale. It says "Oh Boy" below that "Got a Nickel?" below that "Hot Peanuts" and below that "They're Great" If you know anything about the history or company on this peanut warmer. I would appreciate hearing from you. Not Coin operated, but very Cool!!!
Thanks, Steve gummachines@yahoo.com

Steve:

Sounds like a neat peanut machine. If you have a digital camea send me some photos and I will make them available on this forum.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby watlingboy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:11 pm

The Caille center pull was cast iron but the vender front model and not the Naked Lady. The Treasurys that sold should be clarified. To just say they were vender front Treasurys is not enough. One was a quarter. The hardest denomination to find and the other was a penny with the Indian Head pennys on it. The two rarest Treasurys. Also two Mills baseballs sold, the other one brought $9,000 plus the juice.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Ric Gandy » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:13 am

One comment about the buyer's premium. I bought what is suppose to be an original Mills "War Eagle" (older restoration) for $2.000.00, plus the 18% buyer' premium. According to the auctioneer, the total cost for this machine is $2,360.00, plus shipping. There was no local tax added. Those who attended the auction were charged a 10% buyer's premium, but they were also charged local taxes if they don't have a tax exempt certificate. I think the local taxes were 7 or 8% so if you had to pay them, the extra charges were about the same.

The problem with buying anything on line is that you can only tell so much from the description and the pictures. Nothing like being able to put your hands on whatever it is. I also bought a 1926 Caille "Penny Gum Ball Vender" (page 129 of Bueschel's "VTT&CG) for $900.00, plus 18% or $162.00 buyer's premium, for a total of $1,062.00, plus shipping. I think this is a decent price IF this machine is "right". It appears to be missing the award card, but everything else seemed to be there and looked ok. If anyone had a chance to take a close look at either the War Eagle or the Caille trade stimulator and can shed any light on either one of them, I would appreciate it. Thanks. Ric Gandy
Ric Gandy

Next

Return to Just Chatting