Some general unexplainable questions?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Some general unexplainable questions?

Postby nick » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:16 pm

Not to start anything or state any false facts. But, here is my question. Why are machines going so high on Ebay lately? I don't need someone to respond saying bs market inflation answers. That isn't the point. There are hundreds of good machines on Ebay a week and I can't win one. And I am bidding fair. Anyways if you are a dealer like myself and are buying a machine too high what is the point? If you buy a bluebird for $275 and sell it for $300 which I notice a lot of dealers do stuff like that do you honestly think you are making any profit. Theres gas, storage, and other fees so for example you might have then been into that bluebird for $325 and you sold it for $300. I have also noticed a lot of new people bidding not knowing what they are bidding on. The other most important factor is you may not realize this but, a lot of the dealers aren't selling much and actually by paying these prices are losing tons of money. The true saying about antiques or about any type of dealer. This saying is "BUY RIGHT AND SELL RIGHT". A good example of this is buying a Bluebird for $200 and then selling it for $300 insuring there be some profit. While a lot of dealers may say making $25 is profit but, the other fees involved take that profit away so that isn't true. Coin op used to be a regular sane priced market but, now it is very perplexing. Another point is machines like Masters are so vastly available and yet every dealer/person will pay $200 for them still. My basic point of this that many of you can disagree on but, is very true is why buy high. Unless the machine is a rarity or something you can't get everyday. There are so many of these mid-range machines available that the rule should apply of "BUYING RIGHT AND SELLING RIGHT" I go to Chicago show and really don't see that anymore, all you see for the most part is insanely high priced dealers who aren't selling jack. Thats their problem they are pricing themself out of the market. You have to keep the machines in reason and you have to buy right in order to be a dealer. Otherwise there wouldn't be a point. And also have fun doing it. Just had to shed some light. Also, as gas prices go higher so do antique prices. It is a new realized fact. Also, attendance was greatly reduced at last Chicago show and the only people we were selling machines to is other dealers. Sad, I know but, that only supports my reason more. So, think about it. And I know some of you will think otherwise but, this whole buy high thing just doesn't work right and affects everything to an extent.
nick

Postby tradestimulators » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:23 am

You are getting into the basic rules of supply and demand. If you are not winning items on EBAY because you are bidding to low, then either you have misjudged the value or are not willing to pay the current market value for it. Collecting is a hobby, if you do not want to pay the actual value for an item in open market trading you need look at purchasing through a different medium. I will buy an item for $200 that can be resold for $300, I will take as many as you offer. Just because people are bidding on items that YOU don't recognize as collectors doesn't mean their not collectors, or maybe they want to start collecting or maybe it just looks good on their mantle. How many so called dealers can survive selling antique coin-ops for a living? Not many. I suggest you keep you day job. Some items you make a load of money some you actually lose money. The common low cost machines such as Masters,Fords, Columbus are intended for the novice collector and are generally unprofitable and are filler spaces for dealers and collectors. The money is in the rare and original pieces. For investment I'll take 1 rare item over 10 masters. My advice is to stay away from the junk and by quality.
tradestimulators

Machine Prices

Postby gumball43 » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:57 am

Hi Nick, I am like you....I sometimes wonder who is paying that much for that machine? I have seen some really crazy endings on eBay...
I am sure I have several machines I paid too much for...but there are certain ones that I felt I just had to have...I did not buy them for their value or because I got a great deal...I bought them cause something inside said "hey, I would love to have one of those in my collection" hehe!!And I believe someday they will turn into a profit when I decide to sell.
I went to a local auction a while back, there were 11 machines in it. I could not believe it. I went with Bargain on my mind...I never bought any of them....A green Penny gooseneck Master sold for 725.00 and a NW Sellem brought 1,300.00 just to mention a couple...Boy I was shot out of the water at that auction. I talked to the almost eighty year old man that bought the Master.. I asked him if he collected coin operated machines. He said no, I just liked the looks of that one so I bought it. Then he said, I probably paid too much for it. So it is not just eBay....
Buy them now and sell in ten years.....the ten years you enjoyed them will be a profit...Keep in touch!!!!
gumball43
Steve
gumball43

Return to Just Chatting