How to tell a War Eagle reproduction

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

How to tell a War Eagle reproduction

Postby bakerb95619 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:18 am

I am not new to collecting slot machines, but I am certainly no expert. I keep reading about reproduction War Eagle machines, and that you need to be an "expert" to identify the differences.

I bought a War Eagle a few months ago, assuming from the price that it was a reproduction. It also had a very bright gold paint job, and an obviously newer back door. However the mechanism looked older, and for all I know the gold paint may have been original.

How can non-experts tell (hopefully from a single auction picture) if a War Eagle is a reproduction or an original (aside from the selling price)?

Thanks
bakerb95619

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 22, 2005 4:53 pm

Bob:

There are several threads in this forum which discuss reproction War Eagles. You might want to look at those for some ideas.

In addition, you can get information about identifying repro machines by going to http://www.ibuyoldslots.com/COCD/Repro_Tips.html

In addition, I will add my thoughts on this.

There are several styles of reproduction machines. Some take old mechanisms and put them in new cases with new castings. Others are 100% new.

1. If the seller mainly sells newer Bally/Williams/IGT machines and also advertises Golden Nuggets and War Eagle then be very suspicious. Most of these people are selling reproductions and claiming they are originals. Just go to E-Bay to see some examples.

2. If the machine pays on a single cherry then it is probably a fake.

3. If the machine has a hightop style handle then it is probably a fake.

4. If the machines has coins glued in the escalator area then it is probably a fake. These are the REALLY BAD reproductions, most of the reproductions being made today have working escalators.

5. If the mechanism does not have the horizontal check detector bar then the machine is probably a fake.

6. If the machine is a quarter machine and looks brand new then it is probably a fake. The vast majority of original War Eagles out there are nickle machines. Almost all the phonys are quarter machines. Frankly, if I was to own one and going to restore it I would rather have a nickle machine.

7. If the machine has silver or gold backed reel strips then it is probably a fake.

8. If the seller is saying it is "remanufactured" then it is probably a fake.

I am sure there are some things that I missed. Hopefully, the other collectors and legit dealers will chime in and provide their input.
Dave
Site Admin

War Eagle reproductions

Postby bakerb95619 » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Thanks very much for the information. I was surprised to hear that machines that pay for 1 cherry are possible reproductions. Does this only apply to the War Eagles? I have an older Buckley machine that pays on 1 cherry.

Also, I was not aware that most of the War Eagle's are 5c. Mine was a 25c model.

As a funny side note: I bought the machine through an eBay live auction for $800 (a good price even for a reproduction). The commission was $136, which I expected, but the shipping and handling seemed to high to me: $220. However, there was $75 in quarters in the machine when I received it (maybe that's why it cost so much to ship) which helped offset the cost.

Thanks again,
Bill (not Bob)
bakerb95619

Re: War Eagle reproductions

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:11 pm

bakerb95619 wrote:Thanks very much for the information. I was surprised to hear that machines that pay for 1 cherry are possible reproductions. Does this only apply to the War Eagles? I have an older Buckley machine that pays on 1 cherry.

Also, I was not aware that most of the War Eagle's are 5c. Mine was a 25c model.

As a funny side note: I bought the machine through an eBay live auction for $800 (a good price even for a reproduction). The commission was $136, which I expected, but the shipping and handling seemed to high to me: $220. However, there was $75 in quarters in the machine when I received it (maybe that's why it cost so much to ship) which helped offset the cost.

Thanks again,
Bill (not Bob)

Bill:

Lots of machines pay on 1 cherry. However, not War Eagles. The single cherry payout machines are typical of the 40s and beyond (which is probably the era of your Buckley).

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Reproductions

Postby watlingboy » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:41 am

Bob,

Dave is correct. Usually Mills machines made after WWII pay on one cherry. To my knowledge War Eagles were not made after WWII.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

War Eagles

Postby goodguy » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:41 pm

I have a dime war eagle (no one in the right mind wold reproduce a dime machine also two cherry pay out.Many of the repros have the covered single jackpot.
goodguy

Return to Just Chatting