Lubricating moving reel parts on a Little Duke

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Lubricating moving reel parts on a Little Duke

Postby RameGoom » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:02 pm

This odd 3-disc reel strip design is really strange. The payout fingers are at a right angle with this machine compared to a conventional drum-reel design. So I wanted to lube the moving brass-on-brass parts.

I have a question for the experts:

I removed the three reel discs from this Little Duke in order to lube the moving parts. It was a BEAR to get the reel pack out of the machine, but did it. I believe the way they build these machines is to lock the three reels together into the assembly, then, place the strips on the discs. Aligning these things with the original strips intact after taking the pack apart is very tricky. But I did it. There are two spanner nuts in brass that align the middle reel strip to the payout disc, where the dimension apart is very critical to alignment of the symbols, and they did not want to go back together right, and I had to "hone" the brass surface with an oil stone to get it into alignment. Painstaking, but it did work. Big PITA.

The largest reel strip is riveted to the payout disc, so that one is no problem. And the smallest reel strip uses a compression nut to lock it into proper place, so that's no problem.

Then it occurred to me that you're not supposed to use grease on the moving brass shafts...I think you should use oil only! Anyone here have any experience with this?

So, now I need to take it apart again, separate the spanners, and remove that thin layer of grease. Lots of dis-assembly. The good news is, I *know* how to do it now...

My question: Should I put a light layer of oil on the moving parts, or leave them dry? Will I need to polish the brass shafts to reduce friction between them?
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Return to Just Chatting