Mills Duplex

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills Duplex

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:10 pm

Here is a video showing the Mills Duplex.

http://youtu.be/dN5Oue9WXf8

Things to note:

1. Wheel is not original. Whoever reproduced the wheel put the negative in backwards so everything is reversed.
UPDATE. The wheel is not reversed. It appeared that way because the writing is backwards when on top. When on bottom (and not visible) it is correct.

2. Some of the parts are not iron.

IMG_8728.jpg
IMG_8722.jpg
Dave
Site Admin

Re: Mills Duplex

Postby Dave » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:44 pm

I am at VCA and took another look at the wheel.

It turns out the negative was NOT in backwards. The lettering is reversed when it is at the TOP of the wheel however, when the wheel is turned so the lettering is at the bottom then it will not be reversed. Since the bottom of the wheel is covered by the case this is not obvious.

Bottom line is that the wheel is correct even though it is a reproduction.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 am

There are some very important issues that need to be addressed, about some Lot numbers, in the VCA auction.
The Bogus trade stimulators to be aware of on Fri., are lot #185 - a Buckley "Puritan Baby Vendor", with the wrong
Groetchen "Ball Gum" top casting , that is FAKE for this machine, and doesn't fit correctly. Lot #186 - Buckley "Horses",
painted incorrectly, and on a non-orig. wood base. Lot #187 & #190 are both Repros. Lot #191 - Daval "Cent-A-Smoke",
with a recast jackpot, that NEVER came on this model. Lot #192 - Superior "Cigarette", with home-made FAKE Beer
strips & card, which was never produced this way. And we all know on this Forum, who has put this CRAP together! :^o

Now for the Biggest upset on Sat. Besides several of the Victorian Uprights having issues with incorrect castings, wheels,
glass, and just plain 'Not Working', it seems that VCA took it upon themselves to SWITCH two of the Caille doubles. For
what stupid reason, I can only guess ONE. To attract two buyers toward a nickel-quarter combination. There are three
Caille "Centaur" doubles. The 25c - 50c example is OK. But, BOTH of the Caille "Centaur" 5c - 25c doubles have been
magically switched. The one with the broken head section, used to be 5c - 5c, and the other Was 25c - 25c. I have the
serials for these machines, listed according to what they originally were. Now that they have switched them, throws
the history listings off, which they could care less about. What they don't realize, is by doing this, they have destroyed
the Rarity of the two machines, and would have brought more from the seasoned bidders. There are NOT that many
'nickel - nickel' & 'quarter - quarter' doubles of any model, as opposed to multiple coin models. They should have been
told to put them back the way they were, but it's their loss. I can only hope that the same buyer wins them both, so
that they can be returned to their original state. What possesses VCA to do such stupid moves? Simple - They don't know
any better. I am sure glad to see that Morphy has taken over. They have always been more professional in the way that
they conduct their auctions. Even the late Bob Levy, (rest his soul), would not have condoned the switching of the Caille's,
as he was working closely with Morphy, at the time of his passing. He liked machines as original as possible, and did not
care for Repro's, and even restored, and had talked to me several times about some of the Junk in the VCA auctions.
Hopefully some of our Forum members that are there, will spread the word, about the wrong-doings.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby WikiSlots » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 am

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for posting this kind of information. Although I hadn't planned on bidding on those, I m interested in bidding on any one of the poker trade simulators, Rol-a-Tops and Operators Bells. Of course, I don't expect to win any of them. Ha ha.
WikiSlots

Postby Dave » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:55 pm

FYI, here is what the aforementioned machines sold for

#186, $425, bidder 40
#187, $350, bidder 8
#190, $850, bidder 9 (FYI, catalog did state this machine was reproduction)
#191, $500, bidder 227
#192, $325, bidder 256

Price is hammer price and does not include juice.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:23 pm

THANK YOU for posting this, and, for all you are doing for the hobby.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:32 am

Dave wrote:FYI, here is what the aforementioned machines sold for

#186, $425, bidder 40
#187, $350, bidder 8
#190, $850, bidder 9 (FYI, catalog did state this machine was reproduction)
#191, $500, bidder 227
#192, $325, bidder 256

Price is hammer price and does not include juice.

HeeHee! Glad to see that this JUNK didn't bring as much as in the past auctions.
Maybe our efforts are finally getting word to more people, as to what-is-what.
In reality, I wish they hadn't got any bids. But that's life!
Can't believe the $850 for the Repro.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:00 am

was the slot butcher there?
Midcoast Vintage

Postby watlingboy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:39 am

The quarter/half double is not correct. The front castings have been ground out and foundry type put in with new. Incorrect, pays. The slides are also milled, ruined like the front casting, to reflect the new pay outs. The jackpots are now attendant pay. Are they just wired up or parts missing, I have seen it done both ways on these machines. Most of these uprights have been modified this way, ruined, so be careful. Only 3 or 4 out of all of these are correct, really too bad this was done. The original parts can never be found to make them correct again.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby watlingboy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:43 am

Bill is correct, the 5/5 and 25/25 were switched because it was thought they would be more desirable and bring more money in that configuration.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Next

Return to Just Chatting