VCA / MORPHY HARRAH AUCTION PRICE SPECULATION

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Re: VCA / MORPHY HARRAH AUCTION PRICE SPECULATION

Postby Dave » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:49 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:THANKS to dave, and, to bill for their insight into this.
I am still very surprised at the low price for the the derby, and the hole.
bill and i had had a discussion a couple months ago, regarding what we thought some of the machines would bring, and both speculated that the derby had the possibility of bringing FAR more than it did.
even with the juice, and the tax, i think these 2 machines went for far less than their value considering their rarity and historic value.
the derby, while not running well, could possibly tuned up by a competent mechanic, and, be made to function properly.
regardless, these, and several of the other rarities, will most likely go into collections for many years, and not be available again for many years to come.
congratulations to the winners.

I agree that you will probably not see either of those machines at an auction in the near future or even up for private sale. Most of the time when a rare machine is bought it stays in the collection for a very long time. That is why you have to step up to the plate when something really good does come up. If you don't buy it someone else will and you will probably regret it. Been there, done that too many times. :D

At least that is my opinion.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:01 am

I AGREE WITH THAT.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby goodguy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:02 am

I DIRECT THIS TO MY GOOD FRIEND BILL WHELAN- WITH WHOM I SPENT
MANY DAYS WHEN IN CALFORNIA.
THE CAILLE ROULETTE AT 200,000 PLUS THE JUICE IS ABOUT RIGHT. THE ROULETTE THAT SOLD
FOR $145,000 PLUSS JUICE WAS ACTUALLY A MILLS ROULETTE, (WHICH I HAD OWNED MANY MANY YEARS AGO.,

. I THINK BEFORE YOU BUY AT AUCTION, BILL DOES THE RIGHT THING, AND SO SHOULD
EVERY ONE, INSPECT BEFORE YOU BUY, IF YOU CANNOT, CALL THE AUCTION HOUSE AND DISCUSS THE ITEM WITH
THEM. THEN CONFIRM YOUR CONVERSATION, AS TO WHAT THEY SAID.
REMEMBER WHEN THE HAMMER FALLS, ALL AN AUCTION HOUSE IS RESPOSIBLE FOR IS" THE WRITTEN DESCRIPTION AS IT APPLIES
TO THE ITEM." THE THEORY IS BASED ON HAVE GIVEN THE BIDDER TIME TO INSPECT THE ITEMS AND ASK QUESTIONS.

tHERE WERE MANY ITEMS AND GOOD DEALS AT THIS AUCTION.. a JOCKEY FOR 5,000, AN ORIGINAL SMILING SAME FOR 900.
AND MANY OTHERS. I HAVE ATTENDED VCA AUCTIONS LONG BEFORE PETER ACQIRED IT, IT WAS THE ONLY COIN-OP
AUCTION, AND IN THOSE DAY DAYS, EVERY COLLECTOR WENT THERE, TO SEE THE UNUSUAL, MEET FRIENDS AND PARTY.
AND THERE WAS NO INTERNET TO FOG THINGS UP. O
ONLY OPEN HEART SURGERY KEPT ME FROM THIS ONE. SENDING PHOTO OF MILLS ROULETTE GOODGUY
goodguy

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:38 am

Actually, the Mills Roulette (which is much rarer than the Caille Roulette) sold for $150,000 on 3/8/2008. I have been told there are only about 5 Mills Roulettes known to exist.

The Caille Roulette which sold for $145,000 sold on 10/9/2010

Both these sales are documented in the price guide (http://www.AntiqueSlotMachinePriceGuide.com

How long ago did you own the Mills Roulette?
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Dave:
I can assure you, there are more than 5 Mills "Roulettes" in existence. I don't have one any longer,
but I have restored 3 of them over the years. One of which I don't know where it is at now. There
are at least 2 or 3 nice originals, that haven't been touched. There is also one in the large Welch
collection, near me, that I have worked on in the past. Guess I didn't do a good job, cuz it became
jammed again, just before Joe passed, and the keys have been misplaced, and not with the others.
The one thing that I never liked about the Mills machine, was the very noisy race. It gets irritating
after a few plays, and you walk away.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:03 pm

i personally have owned 2 of the mills roulettes.
i also found a 3rd one, in brainerd minnesota, that frank zygmunt ended up with.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:10 pm

Midcoast Vintage wrote:i personally have owned 2 of the mills roulettes.
i also found a 3rd one, in brainerd minnesota, that frank zygmunt ended up with.

That's strange, because I think it was Frank that bought one of the ones that I restored for
a fellow in California, which was later put in an auction. I remember explaining to him at
the auction, to Only use older nickels in it, (that didn't have a ridge), because the coin head
had such close tolerances, that the newer coins would tend to hang up every so often. He
called me a couple months later, telling me that the machine was jammed. I again mentioned
the use of older nickels. He had forgotten. After clearing all the coins by hand, it worked
flawlessly from then on. I HOPE!
I will look back in my restoration records, to see if I have a notation, as to who bought it. If
it wasn't Frank, it was another well known collector-dealer in the Chicago area.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:31 pm

he may have bought the second one to complete the first one.
the from brainerd was missing some parts.
strange story on that machine.
it sat in the lobby of the chamber of commerce for something like 20 years.
they had removed some of the parts to make it non-functional to get around the laws.
i was amazed that gene foster, or elmer cummings never got that machine, as that was their territoy.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Over the years there has been much speculation about the horse race machine from the Harrah's collection as to whether it was a prototype, or a production machine.
I was just looking at the wonderful book AMERICAN SALOONS by Roger Kislingbury, and, the horse race machine is pictured on page 345. It is shown on location in the Tijuana Bar and Cabaret in Tijuana, Mexico.
Whether it is the same machine as Bill Harrah owned, I don't know, but, prototypes don't usually get put out on location. so... is there another one hiding somewhere?
Midcoast Vintage

Previous

Return to Just Chatting