Exhibit Supply digger machine

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Exhibit Supply digger machine

Postby ironclaw » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:14 pm

I am requsting any information on early digger machines. When was the first one made and?or advertisied ?? Any pictures or advertisting would be helpful. I look forward to your replies.
I have been collecting and restoring antique penny arcade machines for over 30 years. I love the stuff. Always looking for more and always interested in talking about it.
ironclaw

Diggers

Postby Hatsoff » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:41 am

You ask a good question about Diggers. I have been slowly doing research on them and plan to do an article for C.O.C.A. I bought Dick Bueschel's arcade library and in it there's a lot of info on the subject.

The Digger, Claw, or Crane machine was a very important and successful product line but for only about 10 years. It began in the early 1920's but took off in the late 20's. It helped that Exhibit and Mutoscope obtained legal rulings in NYC that it was a skill game and not gambling. But it was really a gambling machine. In places where gambling was legal, diggers weren't very popular.

I have found about 12 different makers so far that made many dozens of models.

If anyone is looking to date their digger just let me know.

Ken Rubin
DropCoinHere@aol.com
Hatsoff

digger information

Postby coinguy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:42 am

I believe Jim Roller is in the process of writting a book on this subject and given his 50 years of actual digger experience I am sure it will be great. He has tons of original ads, manuals, and information, but unless it is an emergency, I doubt he has the time to copy it, since he lives in a remote part of Texas. It is also very time consuming and expensive to generate copies, so you might want to wait for the book. His web site is www.jimroller.com and this site has some information posted.
coinguy

diggers

Postby hatsoff » Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:19 pm

JimRoller's site doesn't repond is it correct?
hatsoff

Postby earlace » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:58 am

earlace

Jim Roller Status

Postby geezertom » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:25 pm

I have recently corresponded with Jim and, although his website still seems active and vibrant, he has pretty much retired. He has sold off all of his inventory. He is still very gracious about providing information and help with your digger projects. I didn't see anything about him writing a book on diggers. Maybe I just missed it but will definitely look forward to seeing it.
geezertom

Re: Exhibit Supply digger machine

Postby sam2002 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 am

Erie digger was possibly the first digger
sam2002

Return to Just Chatting