info wanted about Jenning Galaxy Melon slot machine

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

info wanted about Jenning Galaxy Melon slot machine

Postby jswanson33 » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:27 pm

Hi,

About 12 years ago my dad gave me a Jennings 5cent slot machine with the theme called "Galaxy Melon" it is from the 50s or 60s I think. It has some lights on it and is all original in perfect shape, The slot wheels have the typical oranges, bells, 7s, cherries and this has watermelons, and 3 watermelons is a jackpot. I may want to sell it but I have never seen another one and when I ask knowledgeble dealers they all say hummm no Idea I never see any anymore. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. jswanson@xilinx.com
jswanson33

jennings

Postby Rich » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:47 pm

had and sold one several years ago for 1100.00 They are fron the early 1960s Good luck. :lol:
Rich

1966 Jennings Galaxy

Postby Ric Gandy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:27 am

Once again, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a 1966 Jennings "Galaxy" listed in Dick Bueschel's "Guide to Vintage Coin Machines" with a price of $1,110.00. This is as of the 1998 revised price guide. I wasn't aware the pricing of machines was such an exact science back in those days. My guess is that your machine is worth somewhere between $800.00 and $1,200.00 in today's market. You live in Colorado. You can run an ad in the local paper and see what happens. Xmas is always a good time to sell a slot machine. You can also put your machine on eBay in the antique coin slot machine section and the eBay bidders will tell you exactly what your Galaxy is worth. You can sell it subject to a reserve to insure you don't give it away. Not sure what kind of "dealer" you were referring to. An antique dealer probably wouldn't have any idea, but any coin op dealer could have told you what I just did. Good luck.
Ric Gandy

1966 Jennings Galaxy

Postby Ric Gandy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:34 am

Once again, I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There is a 1966 Jennings "Galaxy" listed in Dick Bueschel's "Guide to Vintage Coin Machines" with a price of $1,110.00. This is as of the 1998 revised price guide. I wasn't aware the pricing of machines was such an exact science back in those days. My guess is that your machine is worth somewhere between $800.00 and $1,200.00 in today's market, but that is just a guess. You live in Colorado. You can run an ad in the local paper and see what happens, but then you would have to set your price. Xmas is always a good time to sell a slot machine. You can also put your machine on eBay in the antique coin slot machine section and the eBay bidders will tell you what your Galaxy is worth. You can sell it subject to a reserve to insure you don't give it away. If I had it and wanted to sell it, I would put it on eBay with a low starting bid and a $800.00 or $1,000.00 reserve and see what happens. Not sure what kind of "dealer" you were referring to. An antique dealer probably wouldn't have any idea what a Galaxy is worth. Any any coin op dealer could have told you what I just did, but that same dealer would probably not be willing to pay more than $400.00 or $500.00 for that machine. Your best bet is probably on eBay. Good luck.
Ric Gandy

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:05 am

I wouldn't bother advertising in either of the Denver papers. Since the two papers merged the costs for running a small classified ad are ridiculous.

I would recommend E-Bay, or if you don't want to deal with all the bull sh*t of E-Bay (i.e., waiting to get paid, dealing with shipping, etc.) take it to a local auction company who is having an estate sale.

In my opinion, if you get more than $500 you should be happy.
Dave
Site Admin

Jennings Galaxy

Postby Ric Gandy » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:20 am

Jeff - I was "guestimating" retail on your Galaxy, but I would agree with what Dave just said and he is also in Colorado and more familiar with the Colorado market than I am. Most coin op collectors aren't going to want it at any price. But you never know what someone is going to like and buy, especially if it lights up, works properly, and looks good. I had a guy damn near force me to buy an Aristocrat "Arcadia" from him one time. I told him I did not want it and would only pay him $150.00 for it IF he INSISTED I buy it. I told him at that price he was better off keeping it. He wanted to move it out, apparently did not have the space, so I bought it. I converted it to a nickel and put it in a local antique auction with no reserve and hoped for the best. Much to my absolute amazement, it sold for $1,100.00. I could not believe it. So I guess my point is don't sell yourself short. You probably should consider yourself lucky if you get more than $500.00 for it, but you could get lucky and do better than that. That is the problem with a newspaper ad. First, there is the expense, and second, you have to set an asking price. At least with eBay, you can start it off with a low opening bid, protect yourself with a bottom line reserve, and see what happens. Good luck.
Ric Gandy

Re: Jennings Galaxy

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:37 am

Ric Gandy wrote: Much to my absolute amazement, it sold for $1,100.00. I could not believe it.

I had the same experience with a realy ugly Jennings Governor about 10 years ago. Hauled it to an auction just to get rid of it. It sold for $1,600.
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Just Chatting