A Mills Bonus with the ATTITUDE of a Futurity

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Did you know that Mills made a Bonus with an odds changing mechanism (like the Futurity)?

Yes
83%
No
17%

Total votes : 6

A Mills Bonus with the ATTITUDE of a Futurity

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:29 pm

There is a very interesting article in the July (2006) issue of COCA.

It talks about the different machines which were designed to keep a person playing even if he was losing.

The machines discussed are the Mills Bonus (Horsehead & High Top), the Pace Kitty, and the Mills Futurity. The Mills Futurity is unique in that it actually changes the odds of what will come by adjusting the wheel stops as the user plays it. That is, the machine has a factory designed mechanism that cheats.

However, one machine that was not mentioned was the Horsehead Bonus which has a similiar factory designed cheating mechanism in it.

I had heard rumors of a Bonus with odds changing brakes (like the Futurity) but I had never seen one. Then a few years ago I was talking to another collector. It turns out he had one and the more he talked about it the more I wanted it. To make a long story short a price was agree upon and the machine is now in my collection.

When I got the machine I noticed a couple of interesting things about it. The machine is a 3/10 payout not a 3/5 like every other HH Bonus I have ever seen. Here is a picture of the award card (which is original).

Here is a photo of the stepper mechanism. This is the mechanism which raises & lowers the reel stops which changes the odds.

Here is a closeup photo of the reel stops. In it you can clearly see that it has the same style of stops that are in the Futurity.Image

Here are two photos of the mechanism. You can clearly see that it is a 10 stop mechanism. In one photo the stepper mechansim is allowing the B symbol to hit, in the other photo you can see the brakes are in a position where it is impossible for the B to hit. You can also see that it is a 10 stop mechanism.

One last thing of interest is the escalator. This thing has an escalator with a magnetic slug detector that I have never seen before. There is a magnet that is visible from the front and if a slug is used it will grab it and hold it. When I had the escalator apart it was obvious that was factory designed and not something made up in someones garage.

Here is a closeup of the escalator

I have only seen one other Bonus with the odds changing mechanism. That was on E-Bay a couple of years ago. Interestingly enough, it also had a 3/10 payout. I sent the owner an email but he never took the time to reply. Therefore, I did not take the time to bid on it.

Does anyone know what percentage of the Bonus machines have this feature? If you have a HH Bonus you might want to pull the mechanism and see if yours also has this cheating feature. Who knows you might have one and not even know it :shock:.

I would love to find some literature about this machine. If you have any please let me know.

Let me know if you found this article interesting and/or if you want more photos posted.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby kmorris8 » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm

I have a HH Bonus with the cheater mechanism. The payout is 3/5, however. Wish I had a Futurity!

Keith
kmorris8

HH "futurity"

Postby atac » Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi, I have several futurities--one in the for sale column of this site. My opinion is Mills used the remaining futurity mechs in the HH as the futurity faltered on location. I don't think they were meant to be a cheating bonus mech--just leftover material. No facts here, just opinion. Keith-email if you want a legit futurity! atac@sbcglobal.net
atac

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:31 pm

kmorris8 wrote:I have a HH Bonus with the cheater mechanism. The payout is 3/5, however. Wish I had a Futurity!

Keith

Keith:

What symbol is the "S" super imposed over on your machine. On mine it is the Bell-Fruit-Gum (BAR) symbol.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Re: HH "futurity"

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:44 pm

atac wrote:Hi, I have several futurities--one in the for sale column of this site. My opinion is Mills used the remaining futurity mechs in the HH as the futurity faltered on location. I don't think they were meant to be a cheating bonus mech--just leftover material. No facts here, just opinion. Keith-email if you want a legit futurity! atac@sbcglobal.net

My Futurity changes the odds on a different frequency than my HH does. Therefore, I don't think they just used Futurity mechanisms that were left over. However, I don't know for sure.

Which machine came first? The Futurity or the HH Bonus. I kind of assumed the Futurity was a later machine but I don't know for sure.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

HH Bonus

Postby watlingboy » Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:30 pm

Dave,

I agree with you. I think the odds changing feature on the HH Bonus was specific for that machine and not left over Furturity mechs. Reel strips are different than a regular HH Bonus. Besides if they were left over Futurity mechs it would certainly be easier to remove the cam and put on regular reel stop arms, drop in a regular Bonus bundle and you're done. Why make up new strips. Would like to see some proof where it says these are Futurity mechs. I have owned two of these in the past 30 years.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby kmorris8 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Dave,

My HH Bonus has the "S" on the Bell-Fruit-Gum symbol -- same as yours.

Keith
kmorris8

Return to Just Chatting