Rol a top

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Rol a top

Postby Mills » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:19 am

Is somebody have seen those 2 parts on a rol a top ?
You can see on the picture that they are only 2 reels stop lever.

37 slots machines.... May be more ?
Mills

Rol-A-Top

Postby watlingboy » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:52 am

Mills,

Not sure if you are looking for these parts or just want to know about them. These levers appear on mostly early RATs. Rol-A-Tor and early cast in horn machines however they do appear on a few later machines. There was no way to bug a RAT other than weight the reel. These levers stop the first reel at the reel instead of the disc. There is a star wheel there with threaded holes so it can be bugged. Watling reels do not have star wheels so this percentage wheel, as Watling called it, was added for ease of bugging. The jackpot holes in the star wheel were premarked for the operator with the same red tinted lacquer as on the edges of the reel tins. If you are missing these parts the easiest thing is to just add the third reel disc finger as the parts you circled will be hard to find. It is a nice feature to have on your machine but it is not rare and I'm not sure it adds much additional value to your machine. But you could run an ad and hope for the best. You could always have them made but it would be costly and you have to have something to copy.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Mills » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:09 am

Thank you Watlingboy for your answer.
I bought this slot and I will receive it in a few day. It is the first time I see this mechanic and I wonder if those parts was made by Watling or made by somebody else. Now I know :lol:
Thank you.
PS : it is a Rol a Top "Bird of Paradise" with skill stop and front vender and gold award. Skill stop and front vender mecanisms are missing :cry:
Mills

Postby Mills » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:54 am

My Rol a Top is arrived. Is somebody know the year of product ? I found this serial number : 73544.
Do you know where I can find a complete mechanic for the skill stop ?
Later, I will find the mechanic to restore the candies sytem.
(sorry for my poor english :oops: )

You can find more pictures of this slot here : http://www.joiret.com/slot/watling/rol-a-top/
Mills

Postby Dave » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:51 pm

Mills wrote:My Rol a Top is arrived. Is somebody know the year of product ? I found this serial number : 73544.
Do you know where I can find a complete mechanic for the skill stop ?
Later, I will find the mechanic to restore the candies sytem.
(sorry for my poor english :oops: )

You can find more pictures of this slot here : http://www.joiret.com/slot/watling/rol-a-top/

My book on serial numbers dates at as a late 1936 machine.

Good luck on finding the skill stop mechanism. You probably have a better chance of finding it over there rather than in the US because I think the vast majority of the Watling Rol-A-Tops with skill stops were built for outside the US.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Mills » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:41 am

Dave wrote:My book on serial numbers dates at as a late 1936 machine.

Thank you Dave for the date.
What is this book ? Have you same book for Mills, Pace and Jennings ?
Mills

Postby Dave » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:45 am

Mills wrote:
Dave wrote:My book on serial numbers dates at as a late 1936 machine.

Thank you Dave for the date.
What is this book ? Have you same book for Mills, Pace and Jennings ?

The book is "Slots 2, Guide to the 100 most collectible machines", at least I think that is the name of it.

It has serial number ranges for most of the manufacturers and can give you a good idea on when a machine was made.

There were 4 series of book made (Slots 1, 2, 3, 4) and in my opinion they are the best book ever written about slots. Each book has 100 machines with photos. The photos are not that great but each machine has a great article written by the late Dick Bueschel.

These book were made about 30 years ago and are no longer in print. Some of the books also have pricing information but that is horribly out of date.

However, you sometimes see them in eBay and sometimes Ken Durham has some for sale.

Ken is a member of this forum so you might want to send him a private message to see if he has any in stock. I don't know if Ken regularly reads this forum or not. Ken is also part of the web development team at COCA so you can probably also contact him via the COCA web page (although I think sending him a private message would be easier).

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

rol-a-top

Postby watlingboy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:00 am

The "Watling Operators Companion" is available from Meade Publishing and is often on Ebay and has the serial numbers with dates also. Lots of information on Watlings in there.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby Mills » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:49 am

Effectively, I had never seen on the "Watling Operators Companion" the table who show serial number per date !!

For the "Guide to the 100 most collectible machines", I will try to buy it, but I saw if I want to buy the 4 series it will cost me very expensive !! + mail to france....
Thank you for your help.
Mills

Rol-A-Top

Postby watlingboy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:14 am

The table in "Watling Operators Companion" which shows the serial numbers and year of machine production is on page 134.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Return to Just Chatting