Jennings help

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Re: Jennings help

Postby md171 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:00 pm

Well I'd like to dazzle you with all kinds of facts regarding deferred pay machines of the period, specifically Jennings, but the real fact is I have no idea. It is indeed deferred pay in that you can hear the coins drop for the payout on the next spin. As for any window showing what's coming, your guess is as good as mine. Never knew it was supposed to have one. I'm not as knowledgeable on these things as the guys here, hence this is where I go to find out about things as elementary as the slug cup in my machine and to try and gain a little education when I'm stumped. So far they've been fantastic. Perhaps they can help determine where my payout preview window went.
md171

Postby Richard13 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:05 pm

Great question Flip my machine was a revamp they left in all the lower mechinism except for a spring which I put on for the fun of it. I did a quickie search and found this photo of same vintage machine with the window you mention. Might need the original poster to pull mechinism out to see if any more of that linkage is present.
IMG_4603.JPG
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby Richard13 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:10 pm

After looking at a few more vintage machines I noticed they were all tiger or quarter sawn oak. Then looking at yours again only the lower portion is this cut. The upper panel is not quarter sawn and may be a replacement and those parts removed?
Just a guess.
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby md171 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Could be as the front and the rear lower are indeed replacements and not original. To your knowledge did all deferred pay machines have the preview window?
md171

Postby flipper77 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:51 pm

To the best of my knowledge, all deferred pay machines had to show the "future pay". Does your mech have the deferred pay dial? And does your machine have the slide in the payout chute to hold coins on a payout in order to drop the coins on the next play? Many of the deferred pay machines were switched over to normal pay over time and your machine may have had the deferred pay feature removed for simplicity. Flip
flipper77

Postby Richard13 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:55 pm

Yes to my knowledge they did. I have two Mills machines with the correct linkage connected and working. The purpose of the deferred pay and candy vendors was to skirt around the gambling laws at that time. If you knew the next pull was going
To pay you then it was not gambling. And if you could get a roll of mints or some gum then it was a candy/gum dispenser and not a gambling device. You still have a cool machine to play and tinker with but be careful you can't just stop with one.
Oh one more thing what's the serial number of your machine do you know where to find it?
Richard13

Postby md171 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:24 pm

I don't know of any dial, (what's that look like?) but it does hold them in the payout chute for dropping on the next spin. You can hear them drop and hold on your winning spin.
md171

Postby Richard13 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:36 pm

Look at the photo I uploaded and you will see a little window about mid level to a
Little higher on the left side of front panel. I think it says NO in it it should say NO or have a number in it of coins it will drop on next pull. After prohibition the laws changed and most of these parts were pulled out. Same with candy side vendors and especially the empty candy coin return linkage. No operator wanted a machine out of service if it was out of candy or gum!!
Richard13

Postby flipper77 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:41 pm

Here are my Watling and Pace deferred pay machine examples. Small future pay windows as in Richard's Jennings. And here are the dials on the mech that move up and down with the payout slides movement. Sounds as if the future pay display mech hardware has been removed on your machine or a mech switch has happened over time - both are common occurrences. Flip
Attachments
DSC03461.JPG
PaceFOK.JPG
DSC03505.JPG
DSC03498.JPG
flipper77

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:23 am

md171:
All you have to do, is unlock the front panel, and remove it, to see the deferred-pay number bar. If it is still present,
the next play number should line up with the top center of the award card, where a small square would have been cut
into the original card. My guess is that it may have been removed, either before, or when the new award card was installed.
All other Jennings "Operator Bell" series models that had a small casting on the wood panel, or a full cast panel, had the view
window more to the left, as shown above.
Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

PreviousNext

Return to Just Chatting