Jennings help

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Re: Jennings help

Postby md171 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:41 am

Thanks Bill. I'll take a look today. I'll bet, well I know, the machine was reworked along the way. I'll bet when it lost the original front it also lost the rest of the inside necessary to facilitate the deferred pay window etc, but they left the slide mechanism holding the coins until the next pull. Been a lot of great insight and education here! Thanks to all of you!!! This forum never disappoints!!
md171

Postby md171 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:42 am

I've seen other machines that look like mine. If mine were original it would not have been a deferred pay machine, correct? It just has the deferred pay slide mechanics.
md171

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:24 am

md171 wrote:I've seen other machines that look like mine. If mine were original it would not have been a deferred pay machine, correct? It just has the deferred pay slide mechanics.

If the machine still has the hold-out slide assembly, it should have definitely been an original deferred-pay machine.
Unless someone swapped mechanisms along the way, that is. Keep us informed on your new findings. Also a pix of the
front of the mechanism would be nice.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby md171 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:23 pm

Ok, so from the pics attached can you give me your knowledgeable opinion.... I'm summizing because of the inconsistencies and lack of original front, this machine was either frankensteined together, or was an original def pay machine that lost its originality along with the front panel when changed over. But it wouldn't make sense to keep def pay slides in at that point, right? I do have a covered side port on the handle side as well if that provides clues. I'm guessing it's for candy or such dispensing? Newer looking nuts and screws in there too as you can see.
Attachments
image.jpg
IMG_3955.JPG
md171

Postby Richard13 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:26 pm

So again if I missed it what's the serial number of the case and the mehinism? On my early Jennings it's stamped up on the coin head and on the front shoulder of the wood case. I have an early 3 digit with all the lower deferred pay hardware and the original side vendor. It was a revamp so all the upper defer pay mech was taken off and anjackpot added. Very common back in the day. Nothing wrong with a revamp or re worked machine. This is probably what your vendor looked like if it had one. Look to see if there is another hole through the case above the screwed on plate where the vendor linkage would go. That could confirm your machine did have a vendor.
IMG_4593.JPG

And look in this photo here is part of the coin return the bright aluminum parts in photo, to the right of that is the top part of the linkage for the vendor mechinism. Look to see if any of that is there or maybe screw holes left behind indicating it was there at one time.
IMG_4591.JPG

And one more photo is the back of a front panel I THINK of a Jennings of your vintage showing some of the defer pay window mechinism. Not positive it's Jennings but best I can do from my phone where I am.
IMG_4605.JPG

Hope this helps
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby md171 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:43 am

I do have a plugged hole above the handle and the metal cover on the right side so there was a vendor there at some time. There's "LB" part numbers stamped on the slide mechanism, coin chute and elsewhere but unless the serial number is stamped under the whole mech inside, I can't find one. Lifted mech and looked on front shoulder of case. No serial number. Also the scrape marks on the side case inside in the pics suggests to me another mech was probably there earlier as well.

Have to let you know how much I appreciate you taking time and interest to uncover the history of someone else's machine. In case I somehow forget - thank you!
Attachments
IMG_3978.JPG
IMG_3979.JPG
md171

Postby Richard13 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:40 am

Mine is an early machine here are where the SN are marked. Has a paper label inside too but I can't lift or move the machine for a while.
IMG_4609.JPG

IMG_4610.JPG

And you are very welcome email me any time I'll send you my phone number too I like to talk with other newer members.
Richard
Looking for survivor machines especially vendor fronts or original side vendors with or without
a machine. 1920's-30's goosenecks, round escalators. I enjoy hand painting the castings.
Richard13

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:52 am

md171:
Here are a couple of pics, showing the deferred-pay assembly in a Jennings "Operator Bell" series,
"Mints of Quality" model. You can see the three front mounted assemblies, where yours has the
open holes in the base-plate. These number bars drop, as apposed to the Watling & Pace models
shown above, which swing upward. You are going to have a tough time finding those missing parts,
as most were tossed by operators, and you don't usually see them listed on eBay. Keep an eye out,
as you never know, and now you know what to look for.
Also, that filled upper hole, and home-made metal plate, on the right side, definitely means there
was a side vender mounted at one time. You may want to get an original cover casting for the lower
vender hole, as it will look much better. I'm sure Dave Burten may have repros of it.
Bill

Jennings 5c 'Mints of Quality' Deferred-Pay (a).JPG

Jennings 5c 'Mints of Quality' Deferred-Pay (b).JPG
SLOT DYNASTY

Previous

Return to Just Chatting