Unknown game.

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Unknown game.

Postby mauzio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:04 am

Hello, has anyone seen a game like this before?
I believe it's a dice game.

Thanks,
Maurice
The Netherlands.
Attachments
IMG_8421.PNG
IMG_8422.PNG
mauzio

Re: Unknown game.

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:14 pm

Yes; it is a family/party dice game;
my family had one back in the 1960s.
It was made by various companies in various styles over the years.

There is one that is currently made and sold online with the instructions posted below.
They call it "Shut the Box", but I think it had a different name back in the day, which I don't remember.
I don't think the Watling drawing is original to the game; it was probably added more recently.
The ones I remember all had a felt playing surface.

Here are the instructions for the current version:

Made to order "Shut the box " is a dice game that is great for parties or family night. The object is to close all the numbers by rolling the dice. Roll then flip as long as something matches the number you rolled. If nothing matches your roll, then you are finished.
You can put the numbers down either way you want. I could have put down the 7 and 3 because that makes 10. You can also put only 1 number down when it's 9 or below on the dice. Option: Once the numbers add up to 6 or below, you drop down to one dice if you want. You continue to play until you can't flip anymore numbers down. Add up the numbers and that is your score. Will you be the first to " Shut the Box"??

Tot Ziens
nvmos2

Re: Unknown game.

Postby mauzio » Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:22 pm

Thank you very much for the information!
I already suspected the wattling drawing is not original.

Tot ziens!

Maurice.
mauzio

Return to Just Chatting