Info regarding Daval Smoke Reels

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Info regarding Daval Smoke Reels

Postby mrblatzman » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:27 pm

I have a aluminum cased Daval Smoke Reels...The actual one In my collection is the only one I can find pictured on several places on the internet sites...I suppose the photos were taken shortly before I acquired it....I have seen other Smoke Reels, with the same game play but in a wooden case...Can anyone enlighten me about the aluminum hump back model and why they seem to almost never appear? In what year was it made compared to the wooden model?...Thanks for any knowledge you may want to share....Kind Regards Bob Reno in Alabama
mrblatzman

Re: Info regarding Daval Smoke Reels

Postby nvmos2 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:12 pm

I think the aluminum one was about 1931 and the wood case version of this game came later; about 1938?
You are right; the wood version comes up periodically, but the original version is one you hardly ever see;
post some photos so we can see what we are talking about.
There are a couple other Daval Humpback machines that are also hard to come by; it's all about the numbers;
fewer made; fewer have survived.
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:07 pm

Hi Bob:
I assume you are talking about the same machine as shown below. Full name, "Smoke Reels Gum Vendor". The machine in this photo, is not mine,
but from my files, and possibly an ebay transfer. Is this one yours? There is no push button, so the gum vending parts may be missing. Did you ever
send me the serial number from yours?
Out of all the Daval 'Hump-Top' models, this is one of the scarce models, that you don't see very often. I have a production year of this model, of
1938. Nothing in my files shows a separate production timezone for the smaller wood case models by Daval, but I would tend to put them in the
wartime years of 1942, to 1946, as there were no aluminum machines being built during that period. But to confuse matters even more, records
do show that some wood case models were being made during the same mid 1938 time-frame as the aluminum models. Also, during 1938 to 1940,
is when Bennett & Co. was building very similar wood case models, like the "Lucky Pack", "Deuces Wild", "Dough Boy", etc., and most all of them
had gum venders. The Daval wood case models did not come with a gum vender, which makes it strictly gambling. I also do not show any of the
wood case models being produced, after Daval sold out to Comet Industries in 1949, whom did carry on a few of the previous Daval models, with
some slight changes, through 1950, which is when all Daval & Comet models ceased.
As long as I have been doing research on the Daval line of machines, there are still many holes in the history to be filled. Even the serial number
ranges were very confusing from the beginning, but I am now seeing changes in that part of their system. If Daval had put dated stickers inside
their machines, like Superior, and some Mills models, it would have made my history research a lot easier.
Bill
Daval 'Smoke Reels Gum Vendor' (orig).jpg
Daval "Smoke Reels Gum Vendor" of 1938.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:31 pm

nvmos2 wrote:I think the aluminum one was about 1931 and the wood case version of this game came later; about 1938?
You are right; the wood version comes up periodically, but the original version is one you hardly ever see;
post some photos so we can see what we are talking about.
There are a couple other Daval Humpback machines that are also hard to come by; it's all about the numbers;
fewer made; fewer have survived.

The first Daval machines started in 1932, with the "Chicago Club House", followed by the "Daval Gum Vender", and it wasn't until
mid 1935 before they started with the 'Hump-Top' models, of which the "Penny Pack" was one of the first. Other 'Hump-Top'
models didn't start until mid 1936.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 am

Bill;

Good info;
I'm away from my home (and stash of literature) for the holidays;
I pulled those dates from the online International Arcade Museum (IAM);
that site is a good resource, but unfortunately seems to be loaded with errors.
I notified them of a glaring error on a slot machine several times to no avail; it's still got it wrong.

Interestingly, the photo you posted above is the same machine pictured on the IAM site for the humpback Smoke Reels (with the incorrect date).
nvmos2

Postby cpdretired » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:57 am

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Hi Bob:
I assume you are talking about the same machine as shown below. Full name, "Smoke Reels Gum Vendor". The machine in this photo, is not mine,
but from my files, and possibly an ebay transfer. Is this one yours? There is no push button, so the gum vending parts may be missing. Did you ever
send me the serial number from yours?
Out of all the Daval 'Hump-Top' models, this is one of the scarce models, that you don't see very often. I have a production year of this model, of
1938. Nothing in my files shows a separate production timezone for the smaller wood case models by Daval, but I would tend to put them in the
wartime years of 1942, to 1946, as there were no aluminum machines being built during that period. But to confuse matters even more, records
do show that some wood case models were being made during the same mid 1938 time-frame as the aluminum models. Also, during 1938 to 1940,
is when Bennett & Co. was building very similar wood case models, like the "Lucky Pack", "Deuces Wild", "Dough Boy", etc., and most all of them
had gum venders. The Daval wood case models did not come with a gum vender, which makes it strictly gambling. I also do not show any of the
wood case models being produced, after Daval sold out to Comet Industries in 1949, whom did carry on a few of the previous Daval models, with
some slight changes, through 1950, which is when all Daval & Comet models ceased.
As long as I have been doing research on the Daval line of machines, there are still many holes in the history to be filled. Even the serial number
ranges were very confusing from the beginning, but I am now seeing changes in that part of their system. If Daval had put dated stickers inside
their machines, like Superior, and some Mills models, it would have made my history research a lot easier.
Bill
Daval 'Smoke Reels Gum Vendor' (orig).jpg

Sold for on eBay 3/31/2011 for $1242.00. This is the only sales history I have of this machine.

Ron
cpdretired

Postby mrblatzman » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:27 am

PC250644.JPG
PC250643.JPG
The photos are all of the same machine...Here is a picture after I gave it a mild facelift...The yellow was just to damaged for me to live with, and thanks to Jerry its gum vending parts are now complete...Bob Reno in Alabama
mrblatzman

Postby cpdretired » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:54 am

Just what the doctor ordered. Looks great Bob.
cpdretired

Return to Just Chatting