Franken weenie machines

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Franken weenie machines

Postby thepennyarcade » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:07 am

Happy New Year to Forum members

This is a great site, kudos to Dave.

ebay has a Mills High Top listed (Item 302182966560) and the seller states that Ace bought out Pace and then manufactured machines that had Mills parts in them.
Is this true?
The machine to me looks like a Mills HT, with a Pace Star on the handle hub and a Ace trim bar above the reel windows and a new wooden base.
Not sure how Rare this is.
Oh well

John
Attachments
Ebay Pix.png
thepennyarcade

Re: Franken weenie machines

Postby mechanic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:00 am

It is true Ace bought out Pace, then later Space bought out Ace. One thing that is interesting about Mills and Pace is that many of their parts are able to be used on both manufacturers machines. (Some modifications needed). At that time most of the models being built were open fronts. It is possible to have had some other manufacturers machines come in, in exchange or some other way like they bought out old stock from someone. The other companies did do revamps on each others machines but that was in the earlier years. If this was done by Ace it's one I have not seen in my 40 + yrs doing machine restorations.
mechanic

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:59 am

mechanic wrote:It is true Ace bought out Pace, then later Space bought out Ace. One thing that is interesting about Mills and Pace is that many of their parts are able to be used on both manufacturers machines. (Some modifications needed). At that time most of the models being built were open fronts. It is possible to have had some other manufacturers machines come in, in exchange or some other way like they bought out old stock from someone. The other companies did do revamps on each others machines but that was in the earlier years. If this was done by Ace it's one I have not seen in my 40 + yrs doing machine restorations.

Wow, I'm shocked, that you of all people, have not seen one of these Ace HighTop models before.
I have pics of a couple others, on 35mm film, taken many moons ago. One of them was at a VCA
auction, when Roy Arrington was at the helm. I do show a side view, with the star casting, but
never took note of any serials at the time. Therefore, no pics of the Ace serial stickers inside, nor
the newly stamped MDR serial on the rear base, as this one shows. I am going to check my early
serial # files, from when Dick Bueschel and I were sending them through the 'snail-mail', as I have
others in a file, that are not listed in any of his Slot volumes. It will be interesting to hear if any of
our Forum members have one of these machines.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby mechanic » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:28 pm

As the old saying goes you can't know everything and you won't see everything in your life time. Just one of those I have not been fortunate enough to see an example of, or someone returned some to the original state as we did in the early years. Bill I B getting vintage !!!!!!!!! Forgetting !!!!
mechanic

Postby nvmos2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

Note the machine on flebay has a Mills key for the back door.
I think this machine dispensed a token for the player to redeem for the Jackpot;
You don't see the Ace High Top machine often and you don't see the token much either.
Strangely, there are a couple sellers on flebay currently selling the Ace JP tokens;
perhaps its just coincidence.
nvmos2

Postby oldslotman » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:39 pm

I don't see a token unit in it only a disabled jackpot.
oldslotman

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I believe the token dispenser, assuming there is one, is attached inside the lower front casting, and not visible from the outside, same as the Mills 777 model.
nvmos2

Postby MONTI » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:39 pm

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:
mechanic wrote:It is true Ace bought out Pace, then later Space bought out Ace. One thing that is interesting about Mills and Pace is that many of their parts are able to be used on both manufacturers machines. (Some modifications needed). At that time most of the models being built were open fronts. It is possible to have had some other manufacturers machines come in, in exchange or some other way like they bought out old stock from someone. The other companies did do revamps on each others machines but that was in the earlier years. If this was done by Ace it's one I have not seen in my 40 + yrs doing machine restorations.

Wow, I'm shocked, that you of all people, have not seen one of these Ace HighTop models before.
I have pics of a couple others, on 35mm film, taken many moons ago. One of them was at a VCA
auction, when Roy Arrington was at the helm. I do show a side view, with the star casting, but
never took note of any serials at the time. Therefore, no pics of the Ace serial stickers inside, nor
the newly stamped MDR serial on the rear base, as this one shows. I am going to check my early
serial # files, from when Dick Bueschel and I were sending them through the 'snail-mail', as I have
others in a file, that are not listed in any of his Slot volumes. It will be interesting to hear if any of
our Forum members have one of these machines.

Bill,
I agree as I have seen one or two with that same plaque above the reel windows long, long ago!
Back in the day there were others in the Reno/Sparks area that took in older slot machines and changed them or refurbished them for placement in small venues, bars, Etc. as small route operators in the area! One of these gentleman was Lou Bennetti of Nevada Novelty!
Their main objective was just to get them working to bring in a little side money!
I doubt Ace did this often as Ace was short lived as Space was also as they were struggling to stay competitive with Mills Bell-O-Matic who was using the open front cabinet for easier access for the slot mechs when a slot needed servicing!

Below is a Lou Bennetti Nevada Novelty High Top recreation!

Lou Bennetti High Top.JPG
Last edited by MONTI on Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:51 pm

I have a couple other Ace High Tops in my serial number list.

As for token dispenser;
since there are Ace gold award tokens available, I think it is safe to assume ace made a GA model.
As for this particular machine, I do not know if it was originally a GA dispenser.
I cannot read the award plate bottom line in red;
don't know what it indicates, but I rechecked the seller's listing;
he did have a picture of the inside of the case and the front castings do have the mounting holes but there is no GA dispenser mounted.
It was either never there or has been removed, as is the case with so many of what were originally GA machines.
nvmos2

Return to Just Chatting