Fantastic Find #2

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Fantastic Find #2

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:08 pm

Well, I didn't want to say anything until I actually got it. :-#

Here is a machine that I just picked up on my way to Chicago. Another one that has been in the attic for lord knows how many decades. More proof that good stuff is still out there.

This has been a deal that has been in the works for two months.

I actually purchased the machine a month ago and sent the owner the money but I was not able to take delivery until today.

The machine was located in the Columbus area but the owners were gracious enough to drive to Indy (which is where I flew in to) so that I could take delivery of it there. They also had the integrity not to contact other dealers or collectors once they had my money. Unfortunately, this is turning out to be the exception rather than the norm.

I rented a car in Indy and just arrived in St. Charles tonight.

The picture you see is my baby all wrapped up. I intend to take her to the COCA meeting tomorrow and if time permits and they want me to I will unwrap her there. I contacted the president of COCA a few weeks ago and told him I might have a neat find to show the members and he tought it would be OK to do it. If there is no time or they don't want to see it then no big deal.

After that, I will update the photo.

Feel free to speculate on what she is :D

Here are some hints.
1. She weighs about 45 pounds
2. She is about 2.5 ft tall
3. She is about 2 ft. wide
4. She is about 8 inches deep
5. Her favorite baseball team choked in the World Series :crybaby:

As you can guess, I am pretty excited. I was scared to death that a dealer would find out about this machine and I would have to go to war. :whdat:

FYI, I didn't steal it. They got a good price for it.

After I post the actual picture I will tell you a little more about it.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby Dave » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:31 pm

OK, I unwrapped the machine at the COCA meeting.

I have updated the photo to show the machine.

The machine is a Caille "Our Baby", circa 1901.

Many of the collectors seemed please that I brought it to the meeting.

Several asked about the story about getting it.

Others asked if it was for sale (which it isn't). Even though it wasn't for sale some offers were made. Needless to say, the machine came back to the hotel with me.

Another asked me if I was going to restore the machine or leave it as is. The consensus was that I would be crazy to restore the machine. I tend to agree.
Dave
Site Admin

Return to Just Chatting