Lock for a 1936 Mills Extraordinary Console

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Lock for a 1936 Mills Extraordinary Console

Postby Mills Extra Con » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:53 pm

Hello,

I have a 1936 25 cent-Mills Extraordinary Console. The lock on the back panel is jammed; I have the original key but it does not go in all the way. I cannot see anything inside that might be jamming it up. I have cleaned and oiled the mechanism. I have taken it to a couple of locksmiths in my local area but it is beyond the scope of what they do. I have been told that if I attempt to straighten the to metal flanges that hold the lock mechanism to the brass mounting plate, the flanges will break (apparently this is intentional, to prevent tampering with the mechanism). Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this, or can you recommend a locksmith who works with antique locks?

Regards,

Marc
Mills Extra Con

Re: Lock for a 1936 Mills Extraordinary Console

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:25 am

Mills Extra Con wrote:Hello,

I have a 1936 25 cent-Mills Extraordinary Console. The lock on the back panel is jammed; I have the original key but it does not go in all the way. I cannot see anything inside that might be jamming it up. I have cleaned and oiled the mechanism. I have taken it to a couple of locksmiths in my local area but it is beyond the scope of what they do. I have been told that if I attempt to straighten the to metal flanges that hold the lock mechanism to the brass mounting plate, the flanges will break (apparently this is intentional, to prevent tampering with the mechanism). Does anyone have any ideas on how to repair this, or can you recommend a locksmith who works with antique locks?

Regards,

Marc

Marc:
First of all, welcome to our Forum.
By all means, DO NOT take your lock problems to a place like Home Depot, that only knows how to cut key duplicates. Nor a Locksmith shop
that hasn't been in business very long, as they are mostly programed as "Schlage-In-The-Head" mechanics, that are not familiar with older locks.
The two places you took your lock to, should not have a title of "Locksmith" behind their name. "Beyond the scope of what they do"? Give me a
break! #-o Most large cities & towns have a few 'old school' Locksmiths that should be able to help you. When you start making calls, ask them
how many years they have been in business, and the type lock you are having a problem with. Then take it from there. You are a new sign-up,
and didn't list your location, otherwise one of us members may know someone in your area. Try this as well. Good luck.
Bill

As an addition to the above:
I have said this numerous times in the past. When you sign up in our Forum, and plan on joining-in with all the 'chit-chat', especially when you
are seeking help with a machine problem, let us know where you reside. That way, if there is someone near-by, they can offer-up information
like 'help in your area'. We have even had members, that have lived close enough to another, that has offered to go to you personally, and help
with a problem, and I have heard several success stories. This is what's called "Genuine Fellowship" in our hobby.
Out of all the sign-ups in this Forum, in just the last couple of years, there has only been 25 out of 350, that has listed their location. There are
50 listings per page, and I only scanned back to Jan. 2015. I can understand the lookie-loos that don't chat, may not want to say, but if you want
to be a part of our vast Forum, it will be most helpful to know at times. You can go back to you profile at any time, and enter it. Another advantage
in that same column, is you can also list your website, which is a big plus. OK Gentlemen, lets go back and fill in the blank. All we really need is, a
City & State. Please. [-o<
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby MONTI » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:59 am

Also, pictures always help on identifying issues of all types so we know what we are talking about specifically!
In the case of a lock on an antique slot machine the question comes to mind, is it the original lock that came from the factory or in its young age was it replaced with another lock of its day as route operators may have replaced the original lock for whatever reason!

I agree with Bill "Slot Dynasty" that knowing your location is a good way to have people answer your questions as they may be prone to answer your posting if they are close to you for further first hand communication!

Just My Two Cents!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby sam2002 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:30 am

Not everybody wants to give out there personal information. That should be a matter of personal preference .its alright to be neighbors without swimming in each other's pools.

Post a picture of the lock you need I may be able to help
sam2002

Postby MONTI » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:50 am

sam2002 wrote:Not everybody wants to give out there personal information. That should be a matter of personal preference .its alright to be neighbors without swimming in each other's pools.

Why Sam, I didn't know you had a pool!
I'll be right over!
OH, wait, I'll be there come Spring!
It's too cold in your neck of the woods right now! LOL
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby sam2002 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:58 am

MONTI wrote:
sam2002 wrote:Not everybody wants to give out there personal information. That should be a matter of personal preference .its alright to be neighbors without swimming in each other's pools.

I'll be right over!
MONTI

Monti
My swimming pool is a lake ! The ice has just about melted And you come over any time ! :lol:
sam2002

Postby MONTI » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:09 pm

sam2002 wrote:
MONTI wrote:

I'll be right over!
MONTI

Monti
My swimming pool is a lake ! The ice has just about melted And you come over any time ! :lol:

I understand as my swimming pool is the flooded creek across the street right now!
I was in better shape when I lived at Tahoe but that lake didn't get above 45 to 50 degree's even in August!
Take Care My Friend!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:29 pm

Alright Sam, back up a minute! I wasn't asking for everyone's personal information. All we really need is a City & State,
to at least give us an idea, how far away someone might be, that needs help. Then again, if they would care to list their
bank acct. number, and password, that would be very helpful as well! :D I didn't list mine, because there is nothing in it!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby MONTI » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm

SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Alright Sam, back up a minute! I wasn't asking for everyone's personal information. All we really need is a City & State,
to at least give us an idea, how far away someone might be, that needs help. Then again, if they would care to list their
bank acct. number, and password, that would be very helpful as well! :D I didn't list mine, because there is nothing in it!

How about your PayPal account Bill?
Is there anything in that? LOL :wink:
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP

MONTI

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:14 pm

MONTI wrote:
SLOT DYNASTY wrote:Alright Sam, back up a minute! I wasn't asking for everyone's personal information. All we really need is a City & State,

How about your PayPal account Bill?
Is there anything in that? LOL :wink:

NOT A DIME!
SLOT DYNASTY

Next

Return to Just Chatting