Mr. Post , still around ?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mr. Post , still around ?

Postby JHSS-1944 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 am

would any one know if Mr. Dan R. Post = "Bell Archives" , in Arcadia , Cal. is still around , still collecting ??
he was very big into collecting Mills paper related items up to 1951 era.
I have an address but, no need to send a letter to someone who might not be around any more.
I figure someone here would know him, or know of him.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Re: Mr. Post , still around ?

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:20 pm

no one knows this man ??? He put out a few books in the 1980's......
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:38 am

JHSS-1944 wrote:no one knows this man ??? He put out a few books in the 1980's......

I knew Dan briefly, and spoke with him several times, when he published his advertising book in 1980.
One of my copies is autographed. I looked in my files, but did not find a card on him. I have the info
somewhere. Just have to dig for it. Haven't heard anything about him for so long, I am not sure if he
is still in the hobby. I will also check with a couple of the So. Cal. old timers.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby JHSS-1944 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:07 am

I just got a P.M. late Sunday night from a fellow collector, stating Mr. Post had passed away awhile back.
thought it would be nice to "go through" any paper items ,specially advertising related , that he might still have. but .... not going to happen.

but, big thank you on your efforts.
jeff H
JHSS-1944

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:43 am

JHSS-1944 wrote:I just got a P.M. late Sunday night from a fellow collector, stating Mr. Post had passed away awhile back.
thought it would be nice to "go through" any paper items ,specially advertising related , that he might still have. but .... not going to happen.

but, big thank you on your efforts.
jeff H

Sorry to hear the news of Dan's passing. Thanks for the update.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby drsmlojo1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:14 pm

I knew Dan Post for many, many years. We belonged to the same Arcadia, Ca. Kiwanis Club and were good friends. He was very intelligent and had a very quick wit and sometimes odd sense of humor. He had great stories reg. the early years of gambling collectibles. He never was a big time collector himself except for antique typewriters which he dearly loved and displayed in his Arcadia, Ca. office. He oftentimes published under other names (Peter Bach, for instance). He published a number of books on old classic cars, too. VW's, chevys etc. I did buy a Watling Tom Thumb Penny Scale from him that I still have. He somehow personally knew William Harrah, and told me a great story once of how Mr. Harrah let him choose a Bally Electromechanical Slot that he could take home and have as a gift (I believe it was a Xmas gift), even though those slots were illegal at the time in California. Dan picked out a simple Bally Nickel Mechanical Slot that he kept hidden away at home since it was illegal. He also shared with me a great story about a Domino Slot Wall Machine involving Burton Burton (Casablanca Fan Co. in Pasadena, Ca.). Dan always sold his books himself- mostly through ads in Loose Change Magazine. Dan Mead of Mead Publishing Co. eventually took over the selling of Dan's books regarding antique slot machines. Dan passed away at least 15-20 years ago or so- very suddenly of a massive heart attack while he was out repairing typewriters for Santa Anita Race Track. (Typewriter Repair!!-That will let you know how many years ago it was). When Dan passed away his wife Gertrude gave me several remaining cases of his brown antique slot advertising book that he still had which I distributed to collectors at the Pasadena Fun Fair Show. She sold her property in Arcadia and moved in with her son and his family. I believe his name was also Dan, and the last I knew he lived in Los Gatos, California. This post brought back a lot of old memories. I hope some of you old timers will enjoy my reminiscing. Stephen M. Lojeski, Arcadia, California
drsmlojo1

Postby JHSS-1944 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:51 pm

Well , bringing back happy memories of an old friend was worth posting this I guess.
didn't realizes his passing was that long ago.
jeff H.
JHSS-1944

Return to Just Chatting