Prices for originals and restorations

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Prices for originals and restorations

Postby Mills6059 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:47 am

Hello All,

I bought my first machine a little over three years ago which was a totally restored Mills 21. It is a beautiful machine and the restoration is top notch. Without shipping it was about $2,600. For myself that was a lot to pay but I had wanted one of these machines for over ten years.
Mills 21JPG.JPG

As I have learned more about the hobby I was considering another machine, this time an original. Fortunately my tastes aren't that expensive and I like the look of High Tops so I managed to find this Blue Bell on Craig's List for $1,000. I particularly liked this color scheme too which helped. Everything is working and original on this machine except the cash box. Being an original, this machine has "character" with it's blemishes, and nicks in the paint. I enjoy the feel of this machine as it's played which is much softer than the restored one. Perhaps that's from a LOT of use.
FullSizeRender.jpg

With what I know now I would definitely seek out an original machine over a restoration or one that I could work on myself. From a lot of the reading on this site, it seems that many collectors are of the same mindset.

Anyway, I was wanting some input regarding the machines. Will the restored machine "hold it's value" at what I paid for it or would I never be able to regain what I paid for it to the dealer? As for the other, I think I could probably get back what I paid for it.

I don't plan on selling either anytime soon but I was curious.

Any thoughts?
Mills6059

Re: Prices for originals and restorations

Postby nhsodaman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:23 am

Hi

I started collecting about 2 years ago. I bought a machine that was restored on the outside and looked great but had reproduction parts on inside. It didn't work but with help from a person on this site it works great now. The most important thing that happened is I learned from this machine on how it works and how to fix problems. Since then I've bought 5 other machine and none of them worked and none had been restored. With time and working on them its been fun, they all work great now and I try to buy original parts if needed. I like the machines in original condition with the little scratches and worn outside look. I sit at them and just wonder about the history and people that played them in the 30's and 40's and how they pulled the same handle as I am in 2017. Don't get me wrong the restored machines look great. It's just a matter of taste.

Paul
nhsodaman

Postby briank » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:28 am

Im a newbie to slots and with everything I collect...cars, antiques etc, I always have gravitated towards original and non restored items. All of my 6 slots are originals and I have had to tinker with them all but prefer the patina over a fresh restoration. I did have to paint a rear door on a caille but I can live with that. I had to buy new reel strips for a jennings but used an off white so they look aged. I believe that all original whatever (cars, slots etc) are the in thing right now and bring more money.
briank

Postby JHSS-1944 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:04 am

Well , as long as the restoration is true to what it originally was that helps. finding a jewel bell restored in purple & orange , ect. I can wait.....
just assume the machine was totally trashed out , inside & out , no choice but to restore, then that's the justification on the cost in buying it.
JHSS-1944

Return to Just Chatting