LET'S TRY AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

LET'S TRY AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Postby oldslotman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:01 pm

With the upcoming new year I think all the members here should make an effort the get at least one person interested in collecting old coin op, whether it be slots or other machines. We need the interest of the younger people. We are losing many of the older ones and need someone to replace them. For a start I'm am donating a Mills Black Cherry to a grade school that my grandkids attend. The donation is for their annual fund raising event which is dinner and auction. Most of the people attending, about 350 people, are in the 30 to 40 age group and I'll bet most of them have never seen or played an old vintage antique slot machine. The machine will be displayed with many coins around so the machine can be played by those interested before the auction begins. Hopefully some of those in attendance show some interest in the machine. What the machine will sell for, who knows. It maybe a great chance for someone to get a machine at a great price.
IMG_2510.JPG
oldslotman

Re: LET'S TRY AND SPREAD THE WORD.

Postby radiorich123 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:43 pm

HI

Well that is a great i dear ! You are very kind to do this and I agree that the younger generation needs to carry on the coin op hobby. I see the same thing going on in my antique radio club. We need more young people to get into these hobbies. Good luck!

Richard Bednarcik
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby oldslotman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:01 pm

Here is the flyer:

st geralds auction.jpg
oldslotman

Postby oldslotman » Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:26 pm

I also have to give credit to another member on here, "yourbestbet", who also helped make this possible.
oldslotman

Postby PDX shane » Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:58 pm

Nice machine - very generous donation! I'm new to the group but don't quite qualify for young (mid-50s). I do want to say I appreciate finding this group and the helpfulness of the members.

Best in 2018,

Shane
Shane
PDX shane

Postby clubconsoles » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:58 pm

What a nice jesture, oldslotman.
I hope it raises a lot of $$$ for the school and maybe kick starts a new collector, who knows?
PDX shane, I am 53, so your comment is relevant as I feel there are fewer collectors younger than us.
Books like "Slot machines, the first 100 years" and "Slot Machines on Parade" got me hooked in my mid 20s.
OK, i know some of the info is incorrect and some of the color schemes are a bit "out there" but those pics seduced me.
In fact,It is only now, as i approach retirement that I have the time to restore and the money to purchase.
I think the hobby will still be going strong in 50 years time!
Maybe prices will drop a bit which wouldn't be a bad thing in my opinion.
clubconsoles

Postby oldslotman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

Getting ready for the fund raising auction with one of my grandkids that attends the school. He was excited to show some people how the machine works. Even won a few times. Hope it does well.
auction2.jpeg
Last edited by oldslotman on Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldslotman

Postby clubconsoles » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Fantastic, good luck with it oldslotman
clubconsoles

Postby randyjaco » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:27 pm

Several months ago we used two of my machines at my wife's Breast Cancer fund raiser. The machines took in a whopping 20 bucks. Many of the users, more familiar with modern machines, though the old machines were tedious and boring. I was really surprised at the amount of people who had never seen a slot-machine before. It was kind of depressing :(
I won't even bother next year.

Randy
"There are three and only three ways to reform our Congressional legislation, familiarly called, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box" (Frederick Douglass)
randyjaco

Postby oldslotman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:15 pm

randyjaco wrote:Several months ago we used two of my machines at my wife's Breast Cancer fund raiser. The machines took in a whopping 20 bucks. Many of the users, more familiar with modern machines, though the old machines were tedious and boring. I was really surprised at the amount of people who had never seen a slot-machine before. It was kind of depressing :(
I won't even bother next year.

Randy

This machine is going to be sold at the auction.
oldslotman

Next

Return to Just Chatting