Mills operator bell question

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Mills operator bell question

Postby 1949 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:23 pm

Just a quick question I`m sure someone can answer easily. On one of the post I noticed that someone asked about a 1920s Mills operator bell and they were told that they thought the base had been replaced, because there where no nails in the front. Since then I`ve noticed that there are some of them I saw without the nail in the front, I believe they are in the back. Is there an answer to this? Appreciate your time.

Re: Mills operator bell question

Postby mechanic » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:17 pm

The reason for the nails was so no one could take a screw driver or pry bar and crack the wood base to gain access. The base is made up of multiple pieces of wood and some of the seams are close to the end and easily broken. However this helps having the seams close to the end now especially when you need to break the base to open the back door when the original key is lost. Better to crack the base then to drill an expensive Mills lock. The base can always be reglued and refinished.
mechanic

Re: Mills operator bell question

Postby 1949 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:46 am

So if the nails are in the back does this mean that they are a newer base?

Return to Just Chatting