Paint for castings

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Paint for castings

Postby Nick » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:36 pm

What type of paint is recommended for castings?

Years ago, I used to restore a lot of slots, but I have forgotten what type of paint I used.

Thanks for any advice you can give to me.

Nick
Nick

Re: Paint for castings

Postby JPCass » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:40 pm

First, I have a related question: I was looking at some of the 1930s era Mills machines that I have including a new one (which I'll post about soon), and noticing that some sort of what must have been industrial-grade silver paint in a matte or satin finish seems to have been used as rust preventive on some parts including those that would be visible such as bolt heads and studs, as well as on aluminum castings like coin trays and the areas on fronts intended to be left with a metal look. It seems rather similar to radiator paint - so perhaps the high-heat silver spray paint available these days is a good equivalent?

If I recall there's been a discussion of paint types and sources before, and maybe someone who remembers more details can point us to old threads. I'm back to trying to match some paint and realizing that the sort of what might be called candy colors on slots can have more in common with automotive paints than house paints, but from what I remember of the last time I looked into this auto paints have gotten quite expensive.
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Postby Nick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:46 pm

Actually, I found an old can of the paint I used to use on restoration of the castings of slots. It was Red Devil Polyurethane paint. It came in a variety of really nice, bright colors. It came in small cans so that you did not have to buy a quart or more of it. Apparently this brand is no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion of a similar paint that might be available in smaller quantities thatn a quart? What do other people use for painting castings?

Is the comment about auto paint something to pursue?

Nick
Nick

Postby JPCass » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:11 pm

Nick wrote:Actually, I found an old can of the paint I used to use on restoration of the castings of slots. It was Red Devil Polyurethane paint. It came in a variety of really nice, bright colors. It came in small cans so that you did not have to buy a quart or more of it. Apparently this brand is no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion of a similar paint that might be available in smaller quantities thatn a quart? What do other people use for painting castings?

Is the comment about auto paint something to pursue?

Nick

I remember those old small cans that places like hardware stores used to carry. Some may still be available if you look online.

There was discussion about paints a couple of years ago here:

http://www.coinopcollectorforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3421

As mentioned there, this shows all the colors of Testor's paint, with the implication that they're mostly or all available in larger 3 oz sizes and spray cans:

https://www.testors.com/product-catalog/testors-brands/testors/enamel-paint/enamel-paints

Those would be good for colors in the ballpark of the sort of popular period colors used on automobiles - and with luck, a pretty exact match for some - or at least good enough for spot work like details and touch-ups. Speaking of touch-ups, I'm going to have to go to Hobby Lobby and see how well the colors available match those on Vest Pocket award flaps. Plus with the little Testor's bottles, it would be easy enough to experiment with a bit of mixing to match exact colors, and even throw it out and start over if it went wrong. I haven't tried it with paints, but I buy packages of plastic syringes and use them for precise and repeatable measuring for other sorts of mixing.

For a really good match, especially to an old sample, there may not be anything like custom-mixed automotive paint to match the characteristics of the paint they used on old slots. Sherwin Williams can make about any color in their house paint deck as a gloss oil-based enamel, mostly available in quart size though a few colors may have to be made up by the gallon; that's going to have to do for me, unless I'm really dissatisfied with how the major color I'm using turns out.

Also, I got some of the high-heat silver paint that's fairly matte, to try to match the color (and durability) of whatever Mills used on metal parts. I can see that even the studs of the bolts that hold the award flap on the VP, originally had that sort of paint on them. I see that for old radiators, there's also what looks to be an old-fashioned formula paint available with aluminum dust content.
Restored Mills 5c Extraordinary "barn find", long gone - now restoring 1934 5c Extraordinary Gold Award with original World's Fair reel strips
Restoring early Mills 5c Firebird (large coin view window)
About to take on a Mills 5c Vest Pocket
JPCass

Return to Just Chatting