Payout Solenoid on Evans Galloping Dominos

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Payout Solenoid on Evans Galloping Dominos

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:00 am

Does anyone know why they have such a massive coil.
It is hardly pulling in in the game, yet I have had it bench tested and it snaps in with just 6V DC?
Many of the lamps draw 6-8V DC from the power pack and come on just fine.
I have cleaned the whole payout assembly and the armature pulls in very easily by hand
In Dicks #10 Coin slot guide which has reproduced the original schematic, the payout solenoid is marked at 110V.
I am completely stumped with this Solenoid??
Is it 110V or 6-8 vDC?
what is causing it to be so sluggish, it is fine on the bench and the windings check out fine with no shorting??
clubconsoles

Re: Payout Solenoid on Evans Galloping Dominos

Postby MONTI » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:17 am

Howdy clubconsoles!
Here is the H.C. Evans manual on their consoles which you may already have as you specialize in consoles!
I currently have a Bang Tails in the corner of my shop that I intermittently work on when time allows!
Personally I think the "FLASHER" consoles are very beautiful machines but for some reason, maybe due to physical size, Etc., they do not have a large appeal and don't bring in much so it is not a priority for me to work on but I will get to it at some point!
I hope the manual helps you!
Bona Fortuna!
MONTI

evans consoles.pdf
(512.26 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby clubconsoles » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:48 am

Hi Monti
Thanks for your offer of help, this one really got me stumped!

I have the same diagram as you and the Payout solenoid is marked 110V on the Schematic.
When i have a payout ,with the fuse already taken out for that Solenoid, thereby breaking the circuit, I get 13.2V acroos the fuse Lugs.
(see picture on back of machine next to tilt switch).
I watched it snap shut at 6V on a bench, yet it is marked at 110V on the schematic.
In the game it just hums and slowly pulls in spitting out two coins every 5 seconds whereas it used to sound like a machine Gun!

Woiuld love to know what voltage your coil is getting if you are ablke to check??
Attachments
86fd19f4-1af1-47dc-aad2-043513c299c8.jpg
3eacf4c8-b21a-46fd-a14a-618394ab973f.jpg
6b2c0ae7-cf7c-4a0b-b2af-342a103bb055.jpg
clubconsoles

Postby MONTI » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:38 am

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, have 27 slots from a private collection I am getting ready for selling!
Very Busy!
The Bang Tails is kind of buried right now after a recent route operators purchase I made of Bally's and IGT slots so won't be able to get to it for a bit but I imagine you are talking about the AC source voltage that supplies the solenoid that operates the coin slicer for payout from the tube!
I believe, but I may be wrong, that most if not all the voltage in the older consoles was AC not DC, probably using an AC drop down transformer but not converting to DC but remaining AC!
Possibly someone else here could either verify or correct me on this!
MONTI
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby clubconsoles » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Hi Monti
Many thanks for getting back.(again)
Hope you get on the private collection sold.
Many of the Consoles I have are not common in the UK?
I do not know of one Evans Console our side of the Pond and I have been active since 1993.
You are correct with your assumption this console is all AC.
The Power pack output is 30VAC + 6VAC for lamps

There is 30VAC (3.8amps) getting to this coil, yet it is shown as 110v on schematic.
I cannot see how it can be 110v as thats what the spinner motor runs at, and that thing whizzs round!
I reckon the coil is bad and i have been mislead.
I will get a second opinion!
If you do get time, let me know if your coil pulls in sharply at 30VAC 3.8 amps??
Cheers

Nigel
clubconsoles

Return to Just Chatting