Are penny slots less valuable than other denominations?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Are penny slots less valuable than other denominations?

Postby QuarterSawn » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:47 pm

I purchased Mills Castle 1¢ slot machine as a project. I am wondering since this is the smallest amount people could play that these machines were more common than higher amounts and there would be more of them out there. Questioning its value. Insights would be appreciated.
Attachments
Mills Castle 1¢.jpg
QuarterSawn

Re: Are penny slots less valuable than other denominations?

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Penny Castle Fronts are pretty unusual.

Most machines of that era are $.05 and $.10.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby radiorich123 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 pm

HI I think the 25 cent is most desirable slot. The penny is rarer and not that common in the collector world. Might be worth more to some people than the 5 and 10 cent models.
REPAIRS ANTIQUE RADIOS AND COIN OPERATED MACHINES EMAIL
radiorich123@yahoo.com
WEB SIGHT www.technician.50megs.com
radiorich123

Postby QuarterSawn » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:15 am

Thanks.
QuarterSawn

Postby Rick B » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:30 pm

Not as common and would love to have that one in its condition. Rick B
Rick B

Postby MONTI » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:49 am

Personally I think the earlier Penny slots do have their following as collectible items!
Especially those dispensing Gumballs such as the Jennings Duchess as pictured below, which was the sister to the Little Duke!
It is really a matter of personal preference as in my 35 Plus years in the hobby and doing restoration work I have seen many of them!
Just my two cents! LOL
Pun Intended!
MONTI

AD1c.jpg
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby Lanny » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:30 am

QuarterSawn wrote:I purchased Mills Castle 1¢ slot machine as a project. I am wondering since this is the smallest amount people could play that these machines were more common than higher amounts and there would be more of them out there. Questioning its value. Insights would be appreciated.

I have one too, the 1 cent machines in their original condition have a good premium
Lanny

Postby RameGoom » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:51 am

I think for display, a penny machine is really desirable. Mainly, because you can fill it with inexpensive pennies. Even the old wheat pennies are plentiful and inexpensive, making the machine totally vintage.

Nickel machines need old buffalo nickels in my experience, to function properly without jamming, and even the no-date coins are somewhat expensive. And messy, too.

Quarter machines, same sort of issue. To make the machine look vintage, you need old quarters. The current minted quarters don't even look like quarters anymore.

Half-dollar and dollar machines, forget about filling them up...it'll cost you more in coins than the machine is worth.

My vote is for penny machines across the board, for display and curious onlooker use anyway.
Slowly building a knowledge base on E2000 series Bally machines and J400 Jennings. Started with the antique Mills and Jennings. Getting there...
RameGoom

Postby MONTI » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:33 am

RameGoom wrote:I think for display, a penny machine is really desirable. Mainly, because you can fill it with inexpensive pennies. Even the old wheat pennies are plentiful and inexpensive, making the machine totally vintage.

Nickel machines need old buffalo nickels in my experience, to function properly without jamming, and even the no-date coins are somewhat expensive. And messy, too.

Quarter machines, same sort of issue. To make the machine look vintage, you need old quarters. The current minted quarters don't even look like quarters anymore.

Half-dollar and dollar machines, forget about filling them up...it'll cost you more in coins than the machine is worth.

My vote is for penny machines across the board, for display and curious onlooker use anyway.

I agree Ramegoom!
To say nothing about causing short pays as the newer coins are slightly thicker as shown in these photos below!
MONTI

Antique slot coin payout.JPG

NickelStacksCompared.jpg
NickelStacksCompared.jpg (45.28 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
MONTI'S SLOT SHOP
BUY * SELL * TRADE * RESTORE
Over 50 years experience in slot restoration

Serving Northern California, Nevada & Beyond
MONTI

Postby marsonion » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:15 pm

MONTI wrote:
I agree Ramegoom!
To say nothing about causing short pays as the newer coins are slightly thicker as shown in these photos below!
MONTI

Hello Monti,

I shot that image of the stacked nickels for another thread-- any chance you have a similar comparison for the old (junk silver) vs. newer (clad) quarters? I'd like to know exactly how those stack up to each other too; so far, it looks like 15 new quarters stack about as high as 16 old quarters...
Attachments
NickelStacksCompared.jpg
marsonion

Next

Return to Just Chatting