Vending machines going for more than they are worth?

Have a generic question? Post it here.

If you have a question regarding a specific slot machine or trade stimulator please post it in either the Slot or Trade Stimulator area.

Vending machines going for more than they are worth?

Postby nick » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi,

I've been collecting vending machines for 15 years, and for the past 2 years vending machine prices have been rediculous on ebay and at auctions. I set up at Chicago show once a year and have a hard time selling. I am just wondering why the prices are so high lately. Does anybody else feel the same way or am I the only one.

John
nick

Postby gumball43 » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:27 pm

:D Hi, I have been collecting these machines for over 10 years myself. I have about decided that the "buying price guide" that I have is way off...
I am happy to see new collectors coming on eBay and buying machines. I have been an eBayer since 99......so I have seen a few new names buying these old machines.... I myself have some machines that I probably paid too much for.....But I believe another 10 years down the road will prove that I didn't.....Where I live....here in NW Arkansas....if you listed a Columbus model A in the local paper for $300.00.....I doubt you would get a call......But you would more than likely sell it on ebay in 7 days. I had one dealer from California tell me that eBay was ruining all the good shows.......But I had to remind him that all of us could not attend the shows and that ebay lets us look all over the country......and not have any traveling expenses.......Several of my machines have came from an eBay auction.....And I am glad I was able to bid and win the ones I have...
Without the internet, I would never have known they existed....
Good luck with your ventures!!!! And if you have a neat Old machine for sale, Drop me a line..
Steve Walker
Bentonville, Arkansas
gumball43

vendin going for more then they are worth

Postby goodguy » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:31 am

The value of any machine is based on how the market percieves its value. Climax 10's have gone from $1400 to highs in the middle three's.

Columbus machines have taken a drop in the market. (oversupply?)
a restored columbus just sold for $200+on E Bay.add original locks and its only $300.
The machines that have leapt in price, follows the basic coin-op trend. The rare or hard to find machine , slots, cast iron, early vending (Hance,
Simplex, Red Star Griswold,) have gone to the moon. The lowly Pulver
in green sold for $3000+is over almost three times what the common red is. (Except cops and Robbers)

You need a buyer to set the price, and a few buyers to compete to raise the price. As A collector I am happy to see prices go up. It means the value of what I have is also on the way up.
goodguy

Return to Just Chatting