Craigslist "investment grade" slot question

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Craigslist "investment grade" slot question

Postby shortrackskater » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:09 pm

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/clt ... 43075.html

They're saying this is "investment grade" but with my novice knowledge on mechanical slots, the case looks like a repo to me. I don't see the notch in the back that would have held the cash box locked in. Am I correct in this?
Attachments
00J0J_4zmuIk0PSAS_1200x900.jpg
00J0J_4zmuIk0PSAS_1200x900.jpg
Last edited by shortrackskater on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
shortrackskater

Re: Craigslist "investment grade" slot question

Postby Dave » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:19 pm

You are correct. Case is not correct.

Nowhere near "Investment Grade" (whatever that means).
Dave
Site Admin

Postby sam2002 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 pm

Not my machine nor do I know the owner
But to me “Investment grade “ would mean something you would expect to go up better then the interest you could expect to gain from say a bank savings account !!!
Investment grade hmm!! interesting catch phrase !
sam2002

Postby shortrackskater » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Thanks for the information. It looked suspiciously clean in the case.
Here's the text from the ad since it will eventually go away and this post might be useful for someone in the future.

Beautiful Mills slot machine. Investment grade antique. Everything works.
Made in the 40's. 25 cent High top. Asking $1800. / Offer

Is it typical for people to put new cases around old mechanisms? It's hard to tell if this one is real or repo. It looks dirty/tarnished enough to be original.
shortrackskater

Postby Imyourcaptain » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:37 pm

IMO it’s original mech with new reel strips. In the slot world anything is possible. Just ask anyone on here.

Randy
Imyourcaptain

Postby rtmccurdy » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:41 pm

It does seem ironic that the seller is using a Mills Black Cherry (with who knows how many internal reproduction parts) as an example of a machine that would be "investment grade." (Obvious new & incorrect cabinet, award card (probably), repainted, etc.) Since the Black Cherry is one of the most common survivors from the 1940's it is quite easy to find an all original example in near mint condition for under $1200 depending on the denomination. There would be even more if the fake Golden Nugget phenomena had never occurred! What bothers me more is the huge number of repro War Eagles, Castle Fronts, Bursting Cherries, Rol-a-Tops, and Jennings light-ups appearing on eBay, Craigslist, and other selling sites every week.
rtmccurdy

Postby shortrackskater » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:07 am

Thanks everyone for the input. Before I posted this, I e-mailed the seller twice in three weeks, asking (nicely) if they were aware this might be a reproduction. They didn't reply. After the input from here, I sent another one-worded message to them "REPRODUCTION!" I just hope someone doesn't get burned if they purchase this "investment grade" fake (or partly fake) machine.
shortrackskater

Return to E-Bay