Interesting article in the last issue of COCA about e-Bay

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Postby 777 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:11 am

I would also like to see the capability of sending an email to all C.O.C.A. members. It would be especially useful for advertising stuff and looking for parts. If you are looking for a part, you probably want it now and not in 3 - 6 months. If you want to sell something, you probably would like to get rid of it in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't think the board will approve it though.

If they approve it then the C.O.C.A. editors and their friends would no longer get first picks at everything that is listed for sale.

Postby watlingboy » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:48 am

Unless I have repro parts or a service to provide, COCA classifieds are not much good to me because chances are I have sold the item by the time the magazine comes out. If I haven't then I probably priced it too high to begin with. Same goes for looking for a part. I don't want to wait 3 or 4 months. It's too bad that the internet COCA ads can't be listed as they come in and then printed in the magazine. That would help a lot. And I fully realize that it is a completely volunteer staff and that would require more of someones time. That's why Dave's site is so good. It is immediate gratification. If the two could be blended or interlinked it would help everyone.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

New COCA Member

Postby jcrowley » Tue Apr 12, 2005 7:53 am

I'm a relatively new member to both COCA (I joined late last year) and slot/trade stimulator collecting in general (I currently own two slot machines and about four trade stimulators). I would strongly agree with the other people who have noted that this forum provides an excellent service (in my opinion, much better than the official COCA forum), and I hope that it remains active and gets the recognition it deserves.

As for the statement that COCA seems to be geared for the experienced collector, that's one of the reasons I joined! I'm definitely a novice, even though I bought several good books on slot and stimulators when I first "discovered" the hobby. I'm too far away to attend the big shows like Chicagoland, and even though I try to make the local shows, COCA has been a great source to learn more about the hobby from the experience of others. I look forward to the magazine (OK ... I've only received two so far, but the articles have been fascinating), and the other COCA members that I've had the pleasure of meeting have always been very willing to share their experiences with me. As far as I'm concerned, the annual dues is money well spent.

Dan Davids noted that more COCA members need to get off their butts and contribute. I agree with KaChing, in that I don't have any major stories (most of my puchases were either at local shows or through eBay -- speaking of which, I have always been extremely satisifed with the representations of the sellers and the items I have purchased!), but if COCA needs any help with their website, I'm willing to volunteer. I'm actually a web designer by profession, helping to maintain external and internal sites for a certain well-known telecommunications company. Regardless, I think that COCA is missing the boat by not publicizing the existence of this forum.
jcrowley

Postby nick » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:13 pm

Coin op years ago was filled with knowledgeable good guys who would always lend a good hand and have great stories to tell. But, to tell you the truth now most of the dealers would cut your throat in a minute to get their hands on something. This isn't a joke and you new collectors just need to watch out. And prices never fell and they never will. To tell you the truth the old timers and big collectors are helping to raise the prices to protect their investments so that means the good machines like hances will climb and machines they don't care about such as a master will stay the same or fall. Everyone in this hobby is for themselves and it is dog eat dog in this hobby. We have experienced it first hand and it only continues to get worse. Then you have a lot of new collectors who don't know what they are bidding on and pay rediculous money for machines. And then you have the hances which go from a normal price of $1500-1800 to 2 years later to a disgusting $3500. And yet there are plenty of them and they are not rare and there is a large chance of a hoard of them being found since they were produced for many years and more are still to be found. Just my 2 cents. Can't we all be friends instead of back stabbers.
nick

Coca

Postby gumball43 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:59 pm

I maybe one of the guys that are liked much less...I do not know...But for sure I was collecting these machines long before I ever heard about COCA..It makes me sad to read about people with the same desires and find out there are problems...It all seems to be about the machines and what they are worth...The Machines in my Collection are worth Much more than Yours...hehe!!! ya'll should know that... I have sent many e-mails to Dan, Jack, Dennis, David, Roger, Chad, Shawn, etc...the list goes on....asking for advice, what they thought...etc.. And I get responses...I have bought a few machines from some of these people and am enjoying them in my house now. I just got my invoice today to send in my COCA dues...(which Dan, you will be receiving pretty soon)...Guys this is not something we take for Granted...this is not something you try and take away from a friend...I am grateful for the opportunity to be a member of COCA...I sent in my dues so I could be... I am sure there are members that could care less if I was a member.......but I did not join because every one else did..I joined because I wanted too...and so I might have a chance to communicate with others that had the same interests as me...
Collecting these Coin Operated Machines.... I have not contributed much of anything to the club itself...mostly because what I had to say would probably not interest any other member..(just my thoughts) but I do enjoy reading what some of the others might have to say...
I am a journeyman lineman and work a lot of hours....I am not anything special....but I do love these old machines..I was lucky enough to meet up with an old guy that has been in this kind of business since 1946. He started me wanting to collect these machines...They have gotten under my skin I guess...I appreciate all the help I have received, wanting to know about them, etc...I appreciate all those willing to help to make my Collection more enjoyable...They know who they are...because I have sent them many e-mails.. I have not yet been able to go to the Chicago show or any other coin op show for that matter...Maybe one of these days...But I do thank those willing to contribute to what I need to know..
Thanks...
Steve Walker
gumball43 on eBay...
gumball43

Previous

Return to E-Bay