Ebay item 6168077849 Mills Trade Stimulator

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:56 am

Just an FYI. The Jockey ended up bringing $7,700

I sent the seller an email asking for more information about the Pito design. She was nice enough to reply and provided the person's name (John McManus) who talked about the Pito design.

Anyone know him?

Here is my question and her answer.

Hi: First of all very nice machine. I collect only slots that pay out in coins but you do have a really nice trade stimulator. I run a coin-op bulletin board and your listing has stirred up quite a bit of discussion. I understand that you may have received some nasty emails regarding making it a private auction. In my opinion, don't worry about them. A lot of us are wondering about the "Pito" design comment. We have never heard of such a thing and would like to learn more. Could you send a note to the person who made that comment and ask him to elaborate on it further on my bulletin board? If you want to hold off on doing this until after the auction then that is OK. The URL of my bulletin board is http://www.IBuyOldSlots.com/forum Thanks and good luck with auction. Dave
Apr-08-05
A: Thank you so much. I feel like a wounded fish in shark infested waters. I don't believe in Buy Now in an item I know nothing about. The nasties came, why private auctions, why 10 day auctions, why is the price rising so fast etc. I always do 10 day auctions on higher price items, I always (check my jewelry site-divinecreationsjewels) do private auctions to protect the buyers privacy. The current high bidder has e-mailed me & asked to remain anonymous..THERE YOU GO! But I will catch the flack! The person who offered the info on the "Pito" says its not known much because there are so few of them around. I have asked for info, he didn't know I would disclose his comments. My hunch is he wants to bid & does not want to drive his own price up. I cannot tell you anything nor state what he is saying is true, I just don't know. His name is John McManus if anyone knows him. Whoah...Only a few days left, Thank you, Blessings Marieann
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Dave wrote:Just an FYI. The Jockey ended up bringing $7,700

I sent the seller an email asking for more information about the Pito design. She was nice enough to reply and provided the person's name (John McManus) who talked about the Pito design.

Anyone know him?

Here is my question and her answer.

Hi: First of all very nice machine. I collect only slots that pay out in coins but you do have a really nice trade stimulator. I run a coin-op bulletin board and your listing has stirred up quite a bit of discussion. I understand that you may have received some nasty emails regarding making it a private auction. In my opinion, don't worry about them. A lot of us are wondering about the "Pito" design comment. We have never heard of such a thing and would like to learn more. Could you send a note to the person who made that comment and ask him to elaborate on it further on my bulletin board? If you want to hold off on doing this until after the auction then that is OK. The URL of my bulletin board is http://www.IBuyOldSlots.com/forum Thanks and good luck with auction. Dave
Apr-08-05
A: Thank you so much. I feel like a wounded fish in shark infested waters. I don't believe in Buy Now in an item I know nothing about. The nasties came, why private auctions, why 10 day auctions, why is the price rising so fast etc. I always do 10 day auctions on higher price items, I always (check my jewelry site-divinecreationsjewels) do private auctions to protect the buyers privacy. The current high bidder has e-mailed me & asked to remain anonymous..THERE YOU GO! But I will catch the flack! The person who offered the info on the "Pito" says its not known much because there are so few of them around. I have asked for info, he didn't know I would disclose his comments. My hunch is he wants to bid & does not want to drive his own price up. I cannot tell you anything nor state what he is saying is true, I just don't know. His name is John McManus if anyone knows him. Whoah...Only a few days left, Thank you, Blessings Marieann

Hi Dave:
"The Beat Goes On".........I have challenged John McManus, (aka - Rex), in an earlier forum, as to where his knowledge was aquired on this "Pito Wally" stuff, and asked him to e-mail me directly, which he can do via the forum listings. Do date, I have not heard 'word one'. As for his additional comment about Mills & Pito changing the design of the machine because they were so easy to get into, is BS. Every single Mills "Jockey" that I have ever seen, or come in contact with, had the same style back door, and the same cabinet lock. That also goes for the models that have an additional coin door on the lower right side of the case as well. As for any of them "being easy to get into", a large screwdriver between the door and case, will let a child enter it, and if you are that weak, a crowbar or sledgehammer will do the trick for sure!

For a bit of further history:
As far as early "Jockey" designs go, I have had one for 20 years, that has a completely different case edging & gingerbread design, than my others.
It could be a rare model too, but Dick Bueschel and myself were never able to come up with any information on it. There is no front recessed panel, but does have a large wood oval rosette pattern, with the same on the sides. There is also a difference in the design of the upper front casting as well. Maybe I'll just start calling it the "Willie Wally Wonka" design! :lol: I also have an early Caille model that has the same case edging trim as this Mills does on eBay, but has cast rosette side pieces, and completely different upper front, and marquee castings. This case had original Caille decals on the sides, (partially worn). This same model machine has been shown in a couple of books, and has been called a Mills, and one even had original Mills decals. So, you never will know the complete story as to what all these manufacturers were doing with one another back then. Machine manufacturers 'copy-cating' lawsuits were a daily routine in those days.

My offer is still open to 'Rex', wherever you are!.........Bill Whelan
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:45 pm

Bill:

Thanks for the information. Pretty fascinating (to me anyway).

Interested in e-mailing me some photos of these different machines? If so, I would love to put them in the pictures section of the forum.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:38 pm

Dave wrote:Bill:

Thanks for the information. Pretty fascinating (to me anyway).

Interested in e-mailing me some photos of these different machines? If so, I would love to put them in the pictures section of the forum.

Dave

Dave:
Would be happy to send pix if they were together. Story of my life! The only one that is together, is the standard model, which can be seen on page 69, (lower left), of the 'BIBLE' - "VTS&CG" by Bueschel. The one with the large wood rosette's, has had the cabinet repairs done, but is
still in the raw, although ox. copper plating has been done. I can send you a shot of the mty hull, but I'm sure nobody in the forum wants to see an
empty case. As for the early Caille?/Mills?, the F.W. Mills version can be seen on page 76, (lower left), of the same book. Mine is identical in every way, with the exception of my castings being in ox. copper, and having the Caille decals on the side, above the cast rosette's. Again, this case is still in the raw. Funny thing is, that everything has been done on both of these machines, with the exception of wood finish. What's the hold-up? Beats Me! I walk by one of them every day in the shop, just sitting there on the shelf, pleading to be put back together. Obviously I am not listening! Too many other customer jobs in the way. Oh well!.......Bill
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Dave » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:20 pm

Bill:

Nice to know that I am not the only one which has machines in various stages of restoration for years at a time.

When (noticed I did not say if) you are done with the restorations I am sure people would like to see them.

Dave
Dave
Site Admin

Previous

Return to E-Bay