Here we go Again!

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: Here we go Again!

Postby andydotp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:06 pm

Hi chaps,
Yes indeed it's awful when a new collector gets gyped.
However, if we're talking about the Ball Gum trade stim earlier in this thread could somebody please explain what's so phoney about it?
I can spot a repro bandit a mile off but am not au fait with the trade stimulators.
Just curious to learn what to look for.
Thanks,
andydotp
andydotp

Postby cpdretired » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

andydotp wrote:Hi chaps,
However, if we're talking about the Ball Gum trade stim earlier in this thread could somebody please explain what's so phoney about it?
I can spot a repro bandit a mile off but am not au fait with the trade stimulators.
Thanks,
andydotp

The jackpot is from a Pace Cardinal trade stimulator.
Attachments
Pace Jackpot.jpg
cpdretired

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50 pm

cpdretired wrote:
andydotp wrote:Hi chaps,
Thanks,
andydotp

The jackpot is from a Pace Cardinal trade stimulator.

This Groetchen "Ball Gum" machine is not as bad as most of his other creations. At least he didn't grind the name out of the top casting on this example.
The childish paint job is incorrect, and the recast jackpot, that has the top award card portion hacked-off, was used ONLY on all variations of the Pace
models, like the "Cardinal", (shown here), as well as "The New Deal", "Hit Me", "Army 21 Game", etc. He has put these jackpots on several other models
that he has Phonied-Up, to pry more bucks out of the Unsuspecting collector. Most are usually placed in the VCA auctions, and at the Chicago shows.
Below are a couple of his PHONEY creations that were in the last VCA auction. More to follow.
Attachments
0175 B&M or Rockola 'Baby Vender' (Baseball BOGUS) (700).jpg
No such reel strips & cards. These are made-up Phonies. Took Ball Gum casting off top, and replaced with recast Baseball name.
0033 Daval 'Cent-A-Smoke' (BOGUS) (650).jpg
No such reel strips & card. These are made-up Phonies. Recast Pace jackpot.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Here is another PHONEY machine from the last VCA auction.
Attachments
0361 Midwest 'Puritan Baby Vendor' (Abel BOGUS) (1,300).jpg
Reel strips & award card are made-up Phonies, that were never in ANY Trade Stimulator.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:00 pm

Attachments
0360 Chicago Mint Co. 'Puritan Confection Vender' (Abel Bogus) (750).jpg
Reel strips & award card are made-up Phonies, that were never in ANY Trade Stimulator.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Sorry for splitting these up into seperate posts, but the file size for my photos were over what Dave had listed.
He has now corrected this, per our phone conversation, so this will not be an issue from now on. There will be plenty of room for multiple photo listings.

This final pix is of a Phoney "Tavern", which has had the original "Ball Gum" name ground out of the top casting, to place the new recast Tavern plate. It
also has copies of my Repro Strips & Card. He copied mine a few years ago, when I refused to sell them to him any longer, because of what he was doing
to these machines. Also, an original Tavern never came with the lower front casting shown here, with the built-in award card frame, (rather than the frame
being mounted with 4 screws), and the flowery broach design to the right, (rather than the 3 vertical bar design). This lower front casting design was ONLY
used on a particular model that Groetchen called "The Little Prince", although they never had this name on the machine. It Only had "Ball Gum" on the top.
Attachments
0610 Groetchen 'Little Prince' (repaint BOGUS Tavern) (6.50 Don't think so).jpg
This IS NOT a real original Tavern.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby andydotp » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction on these chaps.
Crikey! You know your stuff don't you!! =D>
andydotp
andydotp

Postby cpdretired » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:18 pm

cpdretired wrote:
Pace Jackpot.JPG

Not sold.
cpdretired

Postby TheFatman » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:46 pm

I understand there will always be new collectors in the market. But I have always known of the saying "Let the buyers beware" is so true. I agree that the integrity of the collectors in this industry should prevent items that are bastardizing machines from getting out there but..... in any industry or collector based industry, there will always be someone who is low life enough to take advantage of the newbie. Sickens me but I understand that they will always be lurking. Thanks to all who post and look out for these predators, and are willing to help anyone interested in buying.
TheFatman

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:55 pm

cpdretired wrote:
cpdretired wrote:
Pace Jackpot.JPG

Not sold.

That would be the reason they showed the ending price of $6.50
I thought it was a typo, and should have read $650.00
What other key items did not sell? I'm sure several of us would like to know.
VCA items get recycled all the time, as I will see some EXACT items showing up again and again.
SLOT DYNASTY

PreviousNext

Return to E-Bay