ANOTHER COMPOSITE SLOT WITH A WHOPPER OF A STORY & AND PRICE

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: ANOTHER COMPOSITE SLOT WITH A WHOPPER OF A STORY & AND P

Postby mrcoin » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:41 pm

I've been watching this unfold from the beginning, and. Have concluded the following:
1) th e seller is just trying to dump this machine for a monster price on someone that has more $$$ than sense.
2) seller couldn't care less about the real history of the machine.
3) seller won't listen to anyone.
4) therefore seller is someone I wouldn't want to know.

I rest my case
mrcoin

Postby buzzojoe » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:29 pm

Why does he need to be interested in slot machines and their history to sell one? I don't know the seller from Adam, but maybe he's just a guy who has a slot machine to sell, and he doesn't want to become an expert on them. He seems to have responded reasonably to the input that people have given him, has lowered his price and changed the description. Especially since a lot of communication towards him has been fairly "aggressive".
I don't know anything about old bicycles, and I really don't WANT to know a lot about old bicycles. Over the years I have run across old bicycles, and then resold them. In some cases I pulled them out of an old barn where they had been for decades. I started out asking a high price for them figuring that I could always come way down if needed. If a group of bike collectors would have started emailing me saying that the pedals were wrong, and that the seat was from a different year schwinn, and that I was trying to mislead people AND that I needed to get educated about bicycles, I'd be MUCH more abrasive to those guys than this seller has been.
None of us are going to buy it.
So why bust his balls and call him names?
Like I said before, does everyone here want a group of "experts" critiquing their items and prices at shows or on EBAY? I know I don't....
buzzojoe

Postby TheFatman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:23 pm

LET THE BUYER BEWARE...... better yet ... let the seller be honest and if he does not have the knowledge ... let him state the fact that he doesn't know.
The machine will bring what it is worth.
I feel that this is a great place for new collectors to read all the BS from both sides and form their own opinion.
Its an educational experience either way. If you don't know ... don't buy impulsively ... get the education and come back and buy then.
=D> =D> =D> [-X
TheFatman

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm

it is not a question of of whether he knows, or, whether he cares.
it is a question once informed by knowledgeable people, he, and the other people who do the same thing, should be willing to do the right thing, and not have the attitude of "well... i might catch a fish...".
there are plenty of things i don't know about, but, that does not give me the freedom or license to go out and they to hook a fish.
as has been explained in the past, we are trying to preserve the integrity of our hobby, and trying to educate, and cultivate new collectors.
when they see idiocy, or, get burned... they lose interest.
this guy, the guy with the composite castle futurity, and plenty of others, as well as those with "creative" descriptions for reproduction machines, regardless of their replies, regardless of their excuses, regardless of their "justification"... are wrong, and have no place in the hobby, and, hurt those of us who try to maintain the integrity of the hobby, and, our own personal integrity.
also, a word on reproduction machines... THEY ARE ILLEGAL!
they are not a restoration... they are a recreation that DOES NOT MEET THE CRITERIA OF THE LAW IN MOST STATES.
yes... there are a couple states with no age limit, but, so what. the point is the repro's are illegal, and, regardless of that... THERE ARE MORE THAN ENOUGH REAL / ORIGINAL MACHINES TO GO AROUND.
THERE IS NO NEED FOR REPRODUCTIONS.
Midcoast Vintage

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:17 pm

buzzojoe wrote:Why does he need to be interested in slot machines and their history to sell one? I don't know the seller from Adam, but maybe he's just a guy who has a slot machine to sell, and he doesn't want to become an expert on them. He seems to have responded reasonably to the input that people have given him, has lowered his price and changed the description. Especially since a lot of communication towards him has been fairly "aggressive".
I don't know anything about old bicycles, and I really don't WANT to know a lot about old bicycles. Over the years I have run across old bicycles, and then resold them. In some cases I pulled them out of an old barn where they had been for decades. I started out asking a high price for them figuring that I could always come way down if needed. If a group of bike collectors would have started emailing me saying that the pedals were wrong, and that the seat was from a different year schwinn, and that I was trying to mislead people AND that I needed to get educated about bicycles, I'd be MUCH more abrasive to those guys than this seller has been.
None of us are going to buy it.
So why bust his balls and call him names?
Like I said before, does everyone here want a group of "experts" critiquing their items and prices at shows or on EBAY? I know I don't....

I have one hypothtical question in your bike analogy. So, you pull a bike out of a barn. Claim it is one of the most desirable bikes out there. Later find out that it is not rare at all and actually the frame doesn't match the rest of it. When you decide to realist it because it didn't sell the first time do you still claim it to be extremely rare and desirable even though multiple experts have told you it isn't?

Here is the first line in his listing
One of the most sought-after, most popular antique slots of all time, few are still left in circulation. This particular class of Mills Novelty Company Slot Machine is even more rare due to its history and provenance.

I really don't care what he is asking. It is all about being honest and accurate in the listing.
Dave
Site Admin

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:26 am

buzzojoe wrote:Like I said before, does everyone here want a group of "experts" critiquing their items and prices at shows or on EBAY? I know I don't....

Actually..........

Please don’t take this personally, but
If I am the buyer, my response would be a resounding, EMPHATIC “YES.” When making a major purchase, I would appreciate all the expert third-party information I could get.

If I am the seller, my response would be “that’s fine with me, I have nothing to hide.”
unless I know my item has hidden defects, or
unless I know my description is not accurate, or
unless I know my price is way high, in which cases my response would be “no; let’s keep the buyer in the dark.”

When it comes to sales transactions, it’s clear that the focus of many participants on this forum is helping the low-information newbie to avoid getting burnt, not protecting a less than forthright seller.
nvmos2

Postby nvmos2 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:37 pm

The Frankenmachine that started this thread is back; see flebay item number 152013310725.
Same seller, same composite Operator Bell/Lion Head machine.
The BS story has been revised and the crazy high price has been lowered to ridiculously high.
Last edited by nvmos2 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:59 pm

DAMN! It's been over two years that this machine surfaced, and struck up a whole spool of thread in comments.
Now we get to enjoy, perhaps some more feedback. Well, my two cents, for whatever it is worth, is: Yes, the
price has been lowered, but still out-of-line for what it is. At least this time, he has added all the different
serial numbers, of this obviously criss-crossed configuration. But that still means nothing to the uneducated
newbie in the hobby. All the rest of the BS is still in place, including the very first line. And there's that most
famous of all misused words "RARE" again. :^o
This posting could be very simply stated as: "AN EARLY ORIGINAL OPERATOR REVAMP, OF AN OPERATOR BELL &
LION HEAD CONFIGURATION". "WAS DONE BACK-IN-THE-DAY WHEN NO-ONE CARED", and let it go at that. There
may even be a real collector out there that wants a small piece of history like this, but more in the neighborhood
of a $850.00 figure. And NO, I am not trying to low-ball you, because I want it. I already have enough revamps.
It is a rather interesting configuration, even if the upper and lower castings do not match correctly. It will be
interesting to see if anyone bites this time around. #-o
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:38 pm

Footnote to this thread:

Most of you on this forum are well aware of the online International Arcade Museum.
If you search that site for "Lion Front" slot machine, you find an entry with a photo of a correct Lion Front; the photo is attributed to a reputable collector.
However, if you search for "Lion Head" slot machine, you come up with an entry that has a photo of this composite machine; the photo is unattributed.
I'm quite certain this is how the bogus entry got posted:
When this machine first surfaced, I (and others) started a private dialogue, trying to tell the seller in a civil manner what he actually had.
Back then, he was adamant that he knew what he had and it was an original Mills machine that came from the Mills factory as it is today.
In his mind, he was correct and I (and the others) did not know what we were talking about.
In order to bolster his BS argument, he submitted a photo of his machine to the Arcade Museum, to be posted without attribution.
Once it got posted, he told me (and others?) that he had an original Mills machine because "there is one just like it" on the Arcade Museum.

I notified the Arcade Museum several times that they'd been snookered with his photo, but received no response.
The bogus entry remains posted as of this date.

VintageCollectibles:
If you still monitor this forum; shame on you;
that was a pretty sleazy trick to pull.
nvmos2

Previous

Return to E-Bay