ANOTHER COMPOSITE SLOT WITH A WHOPPER OF A STORY & AND PRICE

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

ANOTHER COMPOSITE SLOT WITH A WHOPPER OF A STORY & AND PRICE

Postby Midcoast Vintage » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:08 pm

IT IS TRULY AMAZING THE AMOUNT OF B.S. THAT ABOUNDS AMONG NON-EDUCATED SLOT MACHINE OWNERS!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Mills-N ... 2335021c97
Midcoast Vintage

Re: ANOTHER COMPOSITE SLOT WITH A WHOPPER OF A STORY & AND P

Postby YourBestBet » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:24 pm

I was getting ready to post the same thing.
What a joke!!
YourBestBet

Postby SLOTMANDAVE » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:28 pm

I just wrote to the guy and asked if he meant the price to be $1250.???? not $12,500. where o these crooks come from??
SLOTMANDAVE

Postby VintageCollectibles » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:11 pm

Is this where the haters live?
I've already received a pretty hateful note from Richard (which probably violates eBay rules), and responded as I'll tell you guys: There's nothing wrong with creating a market for these historical artifacts. What could be the harm in it? We're all subject to the same economic market forces that determines the value of anything. It only takes one person to duplicate the research I've done and see the beauty in what I'm selling, buy my machine, and then all your hating will turn into avarice.
Instead of acting like xenophobic boobs longing for the days when trade guilds kept newcomers out based on their race, color or religion, act like you actually live in a free country in the 21st century. (I'd hope that you're really not like that, but your snipes make you appear that way.)
Peace out,
VC
VintageCollectibles

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:09 pm

VintageCollectibles wrote:Is this where the haters live?
I've already received a pretty hateful note from Richard (which probably violates eBay rules), and responded as I'll tell you guys: There's nothing wrong with creating a market for these historical artifacts. What could be the harm in it? We're all subject to the same economic market forces that determines the value of anything. It only takes one person to duplicate the research I've done and see the beauty in what I'm selling, buy my machine, and then all your hating will turn into avarice.
Instead of acting like xenophobic boobs longing for the days when trade guilds kept newcomers out based on their race, color or religion, act like you actually live in a free country in the 21st century. (I'd hope that you're really not like that, but your snipes make you appear that way.)
Peace out,
VC

What do you mean by creating a market for these historical artifacts?

When you say What could be the harm in it? I guess you don't consider it harm if you convince someone that something is much more valuable than it really is and convince someone to pay much more for something than it is actually worth on the open market?

Regarding Instead of acting like xenophobic boobs longing for the days when trade guilds kept newcomers out based on their race, color or religion, act like you actually live in a free country in the 21st century. (I'd hope that you're really not like that, but your snipes make you appear that way.)

Do you think this forum is about keeping newcomers out? I mean really????
Dave
Site Admin

Postby oldslotman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:49 pm

Whenever I see a machine like this I think of a song that Johnny Cash sang. He sang about a guy that worked in a factory that made Cadillac cars. Each day he would take home one piece of a Cadillac and after about 20 years or so he had enough parts to make a Cadillac. All the parts were original Cadillac parts but from many different years or models. In the end he did have a Cadillac car with all original parts but it was not a car that Cadillac made. It was a car that he made.
oldslotman

Postby VintageCollectibles » Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:24 am

Whenever I see a machine like this I think of a song that Johnny Cash sang. He sang about a guy that worked in a factory that made Cadillac cars. Each day he would take home one piece of a Cadillac and after about 20 years or so he had enough parts to make a Cadillac. All the parts were original Cadillac parts but from many different years or models. In the end he did have a Cadillac car with all original parts but it was not a car that Cadillac made. It was a car that he made.

That's a great story but it doesn't apply to my machine. Just look at the historical evidence, we know that these machines were destroyed in the 1930s as being evil products from morally corrupt businessmen. Since I know that my particular machine sat in the same house since it was built in the same time period, so I'm relatively sure of the time period it was combined and maybe restored. The restoration itself, if indeed that's what was done, is antique. This history is a much different characterization than what many of you here have made.
The basic economic truth is that the value of anything sold in the marketplace is determined by buyers. I've been honest and as precise as I can be to describe my slot machine. Anyone with a stack of Ben Franklin's will be saavy enough to determine for their self what the value of my machine is. I understand from what you've written that I may be aiming high with the price I've set based on current market conditions as you see in your businesses. I also understand from other postings on your site that many of the slots being sold as antique today are nothing of the sort because they've been worked on over the past 20-30-40 years. The disreputable dealer makes is difficult for the honest ones to do an honest business. I get that. What I'm selling, however, is unique for exactly the reasons I've detailed in my listing, and I'll stand by that and let the marketplace decide what it's really worth.
Don't be a hater. I wouldn't do that to your business or the items you sell there.
—VintColl
VintageCollectibles

Postby YourBestBet » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:03 am

If you are truly interested in the market value of your machine, start the bidding at $1 (with a reserve if you must). Don't attempt to falsify the market to new buyers by placing a $12,500 floor price. Just a suggestion.
YourBestBet

Postby Bill zap » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:21 am

Dear Mr ebayer.....first of all why are you trying to put down the people who oppose you as being "haters". The members of this forum are trying to educate the new comers to this hobby and the "old dogs" some new tricks. This has been a very valuable forum for many people. It is great that you have a group of people willing to share their time and knowledge on this hobby as this group has done. Part of what they have done is to warn and educate people who are buying and selling on eBay exactly what they have. What you have is a machine that was repaired using whatever parts that fit. Without any paperwork, photos , interviews or factory records....primary sources that historians use.....the public only has your hypothesis that is not based on any primary sources. And again the price that you have set on this machine is pretty out of line.....anyone could go out and buy a wolfs head and a poinsettia for a lot less and now wind up with two of your machines for less then you have set. Again without any primary sources to back up your claim you are trying to market ...wait let me take that back.....you are trying to exploit, flim flam, and bamboozle the buying public with a grossly inflated priced Frankenstein machine with your pseudo intellectual garble.
Bill zap

Postby mrcoin » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:27 am

Don't waste your time trying to educate this guy Bill. He obviously already knows everything. If you don't believe that just ask him and he'll tell you.
On my cigar board we call,guys like him "trolls" LOL
mrcoin

Next

Return to E-Bay