REAR Mills 25 Cent Diamond Fake Slot Machine

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: REAR Mills 25 Cent Diamond Fake Slot Machine

Postby Whosignedmeup » Mon May 19, 2014 8:57 am

I cant agree more with Swami. STOP the madness. Many of us came here seeking information, but all of the negativity is nuts.
Whosignedmeup

Postby nvmos2 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:52 am

Hi Swami, gamblingman;

I'm sure slotbuyer is a fine fellow; most coin-op people are.
I may very well have met him over the years.

Reread his post above; wouldn't it have been better to simply state why he believes subject machine is not a repro
rather than take such a condescending tone/approach?
Having posted that immediately after my post, I'm not going to let that slide by unnoticed.

I know (and you probably do too) that there are a lot of experienced dealers/collectors who monitor this forum and contribute NOTHING.
That's unfortunate because, despite the "negativity," this forum has a lot of good info not found anywhere else.
I know I learn a lot here, and I'm hardly a newbie.
At least both of you are willing to share your knowledge here.

If you think I'm worked up over this, you are mistaken;
you should join me on some political forums; that's where the bows and arrows come out. Make that hand grenades and howitzers.
This forum is just a pleasant division from the people who actually exercise control over all our lives.
nvmos2

Postby kennyb » Mon May 19, 2014 11:36 am

I am new to the site about 10 percent is helpful and worth reading
the rest I am not sure what heck is going on ? I will let those who seem to be in the know
handle it...What I need is bonnet for a Jennings sun chief is there anyone that
has or knows of someone that would like to pick up some cash ?
ken b
kennyb

Postby watlingboy » Mon May 19, 2014 5:19 pm

Just thought I would mention what I know. I have been a friend of sloybuyer1972 for at least 25 and possibly as long as 30 years. I have found him to be one of the most honest and knowledgable people in this hobby. He has had more machines go through his hands than most of us will ever see. His expertise regarding Mills and Jennings machines is extensive. If I have a question regarding these, he's the guy I contact for an answer. You could have just asked him to be more specific as to why the machine in question is original as opposed to the way you handled it. I hope you haven't bummed him out to the point of not responding anymore. He has a wealth of knowledge that all of us can learn from.

Watlingboy
watlingboy

Postby marsonion » Mon May 19, 2014 7:59 pm

I opened this thread so I'll take responsibility for any bad feelings it has provoked. The topic in which this thread is nested is "E-Bay," and this is what it says in the topic subtitle header: "See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here." I had something snarky to say about an eBay posting that contained claims that were-- to me-- obviously and demonstrably false, starting with "rare" and closing with "over 70 years of use." I don't go around harassing nor insulting any sellers on eBay, and I didn't raise any fuss with this one nor did I contact this seller with any questions or concerns, but apparently someone else did. I merely pointed to this eBay item on the forum, under the topic header where it belongs, and made a couple of sarcastic remarks about the seller's claims. Even those were gentle as kittens compared with other eBay-related postings to be found under this topic.

I will frankly admit that I could be wrong-- owing to ignorance-- in claiming that this eBay item is a recent repro/fake from top to bottom (I remain convinced of this for several reasons). If I'm wrong, misinformed, stupid, presumptuous, etc. then this is the place to correct me. With facts and logic, I mean. That's what discussion is for, isn't it? Guess what? I really did learn something here: SlotBuyer1972 claims that elongated Mills-style handles were manufactured in the 1980s and that many were sold into the slots restoration market of the period just to make the old machines somewhat "easier to pull." I sure didn't know that, and I have no reason to think SB72 is making that up. That's also consistent with a claim made by the seller, which I had considered ridiculous. I still think it's ridiculous, but if it really happened, I stand corrected. Now, does this mean that the item has suddenly become, for all to see, a bona fide restored original with an admittedly fake, replacement handle? What about that back door? Where are the nails in the base? What's with all that shiny Ace Hardware inside? Where's the check detector rod? Etc., etc.

From there, it appears everyone went off-topic to shriek about "negativity," as if neither I, nvmos2, nor anyone else has any right to discuss or decry these sorts of claims and issues regarding eBay items, not even when it's perfectly on-topic. OK: I'll never call out a fake or repro on eBay ever again. Promise! I'll keep all of my comments about fakes and repros and butchered items-- and the people who sell them-- entirely positive if not downright sunny from now on. And, for everyone who responded to this thread, I sincerely hope that all of your eBay experiences are enjoyable and productive!
marsonion

Previous

Return to E-Bay