ANTIQUE 1935 CAST METAL WEE GEE COIN OPERATED COUNTER TOP TR

See a listing on E-Bay and want to discuss it? Want to rant about Ebay? All E-Bay related discussion should go here.

Re: ANTIQUE 1935 CAST METAL WEE GEE COIN OPERATED COUNTER TO

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Tue May 13, 2014 3:01 am

Daddyfrank7660 wrote:Hi. I spoke with the seller & he said he did not sale it on a side deal. He told me he was messing with it & noticed a issue with a couple coins badly stuck in it. His email to me said he was going to have someone look at it & get it fixed. I took that as he only sales them & does not know a lot about fixing them himself. I ended with if you done mind, please drop me an email when he realists it. He did answer me back with "I sure will" so we will see. Sence it's ended if you click on the ended listing you will see someone's max bid was $2200.00 I'll tell you one thing you can count on me, that I wont be bidding that high. If he does relist it.

Sincerely
Frank

I wrote the seller as well, and got a different BS answer from him. He told me that someone was packing it, and it got broken. Said nothing about
coins being stuck in it. Besides, this is not the type of machine that coins can get stuck. Even if they got doubled-up in the playfield, all you have
to do is shake the machine. I also know who put in the $2,200 bid, and I would venture to say, "that is where it went", without any broken castings,
and jammed coins. :^o He also told me that he had another machine just like it. The machine is not RARE, but I would consider it Scarce, as I only
knew of no more than six. I sold one several years ago, and have one now. If this guy had two, then this adds to the count. Did anyone else read
this sellers ME page, how he preaches about his honesty, and the Lord, and then feeds us his BS stories? I knew exactly what happened, when the
machine disappeared off the block. It has happened much to often. I could write a book about the variety of stories I have heard, about where many
machines have vanished from eBay. Word gets around quick in this hobby, and I have know where many have ended up.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby Daddyfrank7660 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:25 am

hi "SLOT DYNASTY" I figured as much. I don't understand why people ( grown ups ) have to lie about some of the craziest things.) I mean do they think they will get a spanking or punishment if the truth was told. the truth hurts sometimes, but I would rather it be told to me. instead of worrying about my feelings or what ever they think they are lying for. but it really just comes down to they don't want to look bad or have you think bad of them. they should know its a smaller world then they think. just like this with me & "SLOT DYNASTY" being told 2 different things. I know I should not let it get to me, but I don't like being lied to or having my time wasted no more than others do.

ps. sorry I'm just venting. I'll shut up now. I've just had so many EBay sellers lie to me, just in the last few weeks its ridicules. All in how you are raised I guess.

thanks to all that are truthful
daddyfrank
Daddyfrank7660

Postby J57T » Wed May 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Daddyfrank,

You may have read my disappointing experience titled: So This Is The show, Early April. I am sure that it is frustrating to have someone change their "story" leaving you on the short end. I have since learned that there are other collectors that are honest, straight shooters, that have integrity. Gravitating toward those collectors is proving to give me a deeper appreciation for certain machines, and a lot of education from trustworthy individuals. I hope that you find a better Wee Gee, hopefully from someone with the integrity of those who are helping me to learn what is "right" machine for me.

J57T
COPS LOGO Doc1.pdf
(83.2 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
J57T

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:46 pm

nvmos2 wrote:altort;

daddyfrank;
Sorry neither you nor I got it; looks like we'll never know where it disappeared to.
You should be aware that there is a similar type game called Try Skill, which I believe is more common than the Wee Gee,
but watch out that game has been reproduced.
I have a Try Skill and, whenever we have a party, it is one of the most popular games to play.
I think the reproduction is called Roll Skill; if you see one on ebay, it is probably a reproduction.
Keep hunting!

Hi All:
Just ran across this entry from nvmos2, from over a year ago, and felt that a little more detail was in order.
This original thread, started with the chat about a Peo Sales Corp. "Wee-Gee", of 1935, that was for sale on eBay, which was
yanked by the seller, and sold on the side. I know who the buyer was that made the offer, but that's all history now.

My focus here, is on the two machines mentioned above, and wanted to fill in some additional details.
The "Try Skill" was produced by Novix Specialties in 1929, and to my knowledge, have never been reproduced. I have one, and
have seen another slight variation of the same.
The "Roll Skill" is a 'copy-cat', which was produced much later, by J.D.Drushell in 1936. I have an original of it, and have also seen
a variation of it as well. Both of these original machines looked very similar. Had steel cabinets, painted red. Cast aluminum front,
with black paint behind the lettering, and a wood base, painted black.
This "Roll Skill" is the one that has been Reproduced in large numbers, by more than one person. Many are painted brown, and you
will often see a version with Phoney 'BEER' decals on the glass. The trend with most sellers of Fake machines, seems to focus on
convincing the buyer into thinking a machine came out of a Saloon, or Speakeasy, or the like. Many machines were located in the
shadiest of places, but they were also placed in every conceivable location that they could get them into. Like Cigar stores, Variety
stores, Grocery stores, etc., but no one likes to say that their machine came from 'Mrs. O'Leary's Beauty Shop', or 'Uncle Benny's Bakery',
unless the establishment was owned by someone famous. We've all seen an occasional listing on eBay, by people stating that their Slot
Machine came out of a Capone establishment. That could very well be, but if you don't know for sure, and can't back it up with some
sort of documentation, then 'Shut-The-Hell-Up'. I even seen one listed that way, for a machine that was made long after Capone and
his locations were history. Go Figure!
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby nvmos2 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Interesting;

I had forgotten all about the Wee Gee;
In fact, I now cannot find my Try Skill; it's lost in the clutter.

At the time, I thought the reproduction Roll Skill was a knock-off/repro of the Try Skill;
I did not realize there actually was a 1936 Roll Skill.
There is one of the repro Roll Skills on flebay right now; for a whopping $1895 (OBO; I wonder how many he sells for ridiculously high offers)!
At least the seller is up front about it being a reproduction.

Thanks for the update, Slot Dynasty!
nvmos2

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:22 pm

nvmos2 wrote:Interesting;

At the time, I thought the reproduction Roll Skill was a knock-off/repro of the Try Skill;
I did not realize there actually was a 1936 Roll Skill.
There is one of the repro Roll Skills on flebay right now; for a whopping $1895 (OBO; I wonder how many he sells for ridiculously high offers)!
At least the seller is up front about it being a reproduction.

Thanks for the update, Slot Dynasty!

I'm pretty sure of whom you are talking about. They have been listed on a regular basis, for months on end. Yes, the description does say that
they are reproduction models, but what I can't understand is the 'Insane Pricing', and what would be a 'Best Offer' that would be accepted? Surely
not anywhere near what they are really worth. Most of what this seller lists on ebay, follows after the old 'School Days' game of "Show and Tell".
I am always checking in the ebay 'Completed Listings' for things, and I don't remember seeing any of this sellers repros as 'sold'. But, I still could
have missed one!
When the Pace "Whiz-Ball" reproductions were first introduced, they sold for about $275. They have since increased to an average of $350. The
same goes for the repro Pace "Base Ball". But the repro "Roll Skill", is realistically in a $250 range. I have seen many of these repros bring stupid
money on ebay, these past few years. Some do say what they are, but MOST DO NOT. "Caveat Emptor"! This is why I am always trying to advise
the new collectors, to buy "dirty & original", as opposed to 'bright & shiny', unless you can get a signed document, from a reputable collector or
dealer, that the machine is truly a 'Restored Original'.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby integ194 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:50 pm

This fellow seems to resell machines which are available from Ed Smith for quite appropriate pricing. As I understand most of what Ed Smith sells arises from his complete purchase of original parts from the late Johnny Frantz. Where machines are made from original parts I wonder whether they then constitute 'reproductions'.
integ194

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:08 am

integ194 wrote:This fellow seems to resell machines which are available from Ed Smith for quite appropriate pricing. As I understand most of what Ed Smith sells arises from his complete purchase of original parts from the late Johnny Frantz. Where machines are made from original parts I wonder whether they then constitute 'reproductions'.

I have known Ed Smith since the late 1970's, and he was also a close friend of Dick Bueschel. Ed did aquire several boxes & patterns, for the "Whiz Ball", and
other games, from Johnny Frantz, long before his passing. Ed had all this stuff stashed away for several years, before coming upon it one day, and deciding
to continue with a new line of production. I forget what he was calling them at the time, but he was advertising them as 'New Reproductions'. This is sort of
a borderline, when it comes to 'reproduction', because they are being made, using original molds, patterns & parts. Ed sold quite a number of the "Whiz Ball"
games, before I convinced him to start putting his own run of serial numbers on them. Only problem here was, he was stamping the number on the back edge
of the wood base, which could very easily be sanded off, by some crook, that wanted to pass it off as original down the road.
Before I elaborate any more on this subject, I am going to call Ed, to refresh my memory with more details on these aftermarket ventures. I am also not sure
if he monitors this Forum, and would step in to set the record straight. I really want to clear the air on this, so that our collector 'newbies', don't 'take it in the
shorts', by persons not saying what they are really selling, as many do on eBay.
SLOT DYNASTY

Postby SLOT DYNASTY » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:44 am

Well, Ed was one step ahead of me, and called me today, before I got a chance to call him.
First of all: He knows the person that is selling the high-priced "Whiz-Ball" & "Base Ball" machines on eBay,
and I am not going to elaborate on the info told.
When Ed began making these games, they were all from original patterns, molds, and parts, that he obtained
from Johnny Frantz many years ago. What he was calling this new line of machines was 'Extended Production'.
The first 50 "Whiz-Ball" games had brown hammertone cases, with gold painted top & bottom wood pieces, and
were not serial stamped. When he started stamping the serial numbers, he said that they were stamped pretty
deep, and one would have to sand or cut off too much wood, which would be very noticeable. Not sure how
many of the first "Base Ball" games didn't get numbered.
He only produced 300 of the "Whiz-Ball", and 200 of the "Base Ball", before destroying all of the original patterns
for both machines. I also asked him if he had made any of the Repro "Skill Roll" games, and he said that he had
made about 10 of them. Someone else has also made these, because I have seen a few that have an open slot &
chute cut into the lower front of the case, which originals never had, and not sure why it is even there. Ed did
not do that to any of his.
SLOT DYNASTY

Previous

Return to E-Bay